leaking sand filter

Jun 14, 2015
Austin TX
Pool installed 7 years ago, so easy to maintain for the first 5, then started having a couple problems and was more trouble the last 2 years (keeping it clean, etc) Had the pump motor replaced about 3 years ago (can't recall exactly atm) This motor stopped working at the beginning of the year, had a new one replaced recently. VERY difficult to find anyone to work on my pool, replace parts, etc. They basically only want to work on pools they installed, and they stay so busy, hard to get anyone. The guy who installed mine moved away and can no longer help me. Anyway... got the motor replaced about a month ago (wish I had known about variable speed pumps... found out I could have bought it tax free and saved energy!!) Was also likely overcharged for it, but I just needed to get it done and was happy I found someone who could do it. Problem is, he's pretty much a drunk, and makes me nervous. Now my Hayward sand filter is leaking at the seam! And now I am learning that sand should have been replaced every few years. Could that be the cause of the leak? I see that people have used their sand filters for decades, and mine lasted less than 7! I thought my pool education was pretty good, but realizing I need to learn more and keep informed, so I'll pay more attention to this site from now on!
Looking for advice about caring for sand filters and your thoughts about what caused mine to leak. Oh yeah, the pipes are also leaking at the joints. Ugh.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Actually, as long as no pool store gunk like floc or clarifiers have been used and allowed to get to the sand, the sand should be good. It's a million years old and doesn't just go bad, although it can us e a good "deep clean" every season or two. It would seem odd that anything the tech did for you motor would impact the seam of the filter. Pipe fitting sure, but not the seam. Maybe just a crazy coincidence. Well, if you have more info or concerns about your system let us know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.