Leaking Pool Pump, what to replace?

I was wondering if the 3/4 HP motor would save enough to make the impeller worth it.
I think to start I might just order the, Hayward SPX3000T Housing Gasket and the PS-3868 Seal Assembly. If the leak goes away then I'll order a new motor does that sound prudent?

If the motor is ok, then you might only need a housing gasket and seal. Edit - ok, I misunderstood. You just want to make sure that the leak is fixable before deciding on getting a new motor or whole pump. That makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure it's worth changing out the impeller and motor, you're energy cost are pretty cheap, the saving is going from a single speed to a two speed. With a 2-speed on low you move 1/2 the water but at a 1/4 of the cost. I'd get a 2-speed 1hp, and keep your current impeller. The saving between a 3/4 and 1 hp isn't that great.

Hayward 2 SPEED MOTOR 1 H.P. - SPX1607Z2MS - INYOPools.com

The 2 speed motor is $360 vs $127 for the single speed.

At that point, you might as well buy the whole pump.

Hayward Super Pump 1 HP Dual Speed - SP2607X102S - INYOPools.com

Also, you have to know if the current pump is full rated or max rated to know the total hp needed.

The two speed motor is 230 volts only, so you have to make sure that that's what you have.

I think a 1 HP standard motor might be the way to go for me. I don't have 230 at the pump and the price is a bit steep for me at this time.

I think just for troubleshooting this weekend I will order the kit below from Amazon (they can have it here by Friday) and see if it still leaks. If not I will order a new 1 HP motor and the better Shaft Seal. If it leaks I will just order a whole new pump. Do you think that is good plan of attack?
https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX1600TRA-Assembly-Replacement-Superpump/dp/B004VTGSUM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487190432&sr=8-2&keywords=SPX1600Z2

Thank you guys again for all the help!

While you have the pump apart, check the part number stamped on the impeller, that's going to determine which motor you need unless you replace the impeller.

Typically, going to a smaller motor and impeller is about the same cost as keeping the existing impeller and getting a bigger motor because the bigger motor is more expensive.

Also, long term costs are higher for the bigger motor.

I hope you guys had a great weekend. I changed out all the seals and unfortunately it is still leaking from the top.
I thought it was going to be the large outer seal (nearest to the bolts) as it did have a flat spot but the kit came with one and it didn't help, I was sure to use liberal lubricant too.
I spoke with a pool guy who has helped me in the past and he thought it was the housing, he said he's seen these pumps get spider cracks in the housing and some type of plate and leak from there. Looking at the plastic in the pump I imagine it is quite old.
So I think time for a new pump, does that sound like my best course of action. I'm including pics of the pump apart to see if maybe someone can spot something.
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
Thanks again for your help!
Sean

I'm not positive but think that might be the 3/4 hp impeller. OK, I went back to the first video you posted, that leak is at the top of the pump? Correct? Looks to be under some glue/silicon? On the wet side of the pump, left to right, you have the motor/mounting plate/seal/west side. If that is the case, it's either the seal or spider cracks on the pump housing.

that leak is at the top of the pump?
Yes

Looks to be under some glue/silicon? On the wet side of the pump, left to right, you have the motor/mounting plate/seal/west side
It looks to be coming from under the plate, I'm not sure exactly where. I did replace the outer seal which the old one had a flat spot but it is still leaking.

I found Hayward makes 3 types of pumps I think would be good at various price points but I'm not sure what would be best for the price, any opinions?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FNAHCI/ref=psdc_1273011011_t2_B002GP5W64
https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP3007X10AZ-Super-1-Horsepower-Market/dp/B00268B724/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487621143&sr=8-1&keywords=SP3007X10AZ
https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP3207X10-TriStar-Rate-Pool/dp/B00268B742/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487621184&sr=8-1&keywords=SP3207X10

Just to clarify how the housing gasket goes on. You pull out the old gasket from the channel in the housing and insert the new gasket into the channel.

Is that what you did?

The seal plate has a dark black ring around it except for one spot. That's where it's not making a good seal.

Also, it looks like the top right grommet is missing thread?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.