Leaking pool plumbing

Sungar

Jul 1, 2016
San Diego, ca
My pipes seem to have developed a leak right by the pump. When I noticed this, I also noticed that the pump is barely moving any water and there's no pressure in the filter. I'm wondering if this leak could also cause enough air to be pulled into the pump that it can't suck the water.

is there a way I can seal the leak without replumbing? It's right at a junction with the pump so I'm hoping there's a sealant or something that could be recommended. The stuff that was there is very loose and when I felt it is just brushed off.

any help appreciated. I've attached a couple pics of the offending area. Water leak is right where black pipe goes into pump.

Pump is currently shut off and the pool is a nice shade of green (filer needs to be cleaned and I'm wondering if this leaks/lack of water flow through the filter has been going on for several days).

thanks in advance.

The leak you are describing and pictured is on the pressure side of the system ... not the suction side of the pump.
If the pump basket has air in it also... there is another leak in the pipe work or even the O ring on the pump lid.
First thing i would do is check the o ring on the pump lid.make sure it is sealing properly ... second... i would temporarily tie a plastic shopping bag around the leak that you pictured.... if you still see air bubbles entering the pool... the problem is else where.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

S,

"Most" suction side leaks are caused by the pump lid O-Ring..

I suggest that you take it out and lube it with pool lube and reinstall and see what happens.

As far as the leak on the pump output line, I've tried silicone caulk which never lasts very long. The real answer is to use unions designed for pool pumps, but of course that would mean re-plumbing your pump.

One thing you can try is to take a slow running garden hose and run it over the pump basket and input pipe while the pump is trying to prime. If you have an air leak, when the water hits the leak the pump will start to prime.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Well.... I tried your suggestion of re lubing the o ring on the basket and it didn't change anything. BUT while I was cycling the pump on and off testing it I noticed a leak under the Jandy valve right next to the basket. Took the actuator off and the valve cover. Checked the o ring and it almost crumbled in my hand so I'm guessing that might be the problem.

Off to the the pool pool store tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.