Leaking pool and need new pump

Oh wise ones, I have called a guy to find/fix leaks in my pool three times. Each time he charges me, and each time my pool still leaks. He claims he finds leaks and patches them with epoxy. For all I know, he has been patching leaks and creating new ones. Anyway, during his last visit he removed the fitting where a vacuum is supposed to attached to (he claimed it was leaking). He said for a few hundred bucks, he'd come back, drain the water to beneath that level then install a new one. I'm no fool, though, and I figured I can do that myself. Anyway, enough venting...

Three questions:

1) I have two pool pumps. One hasn't worked since we bought the house. It is supposed to pump water from the 'hot tub' section of the pool. The other pump that pulls from the main skimmer and main drain just broke. Do you guys have any recommendations? This old pump is 1HP USQ1102 model. Amazon has a 1.5HP Harris pump for $170 with good reviews. There is also a $375 1.5HP Hayward SP2610X15. Which one would you guys choose? I'm going to attempt to install it myself.

2) When I sent my valve to main drain only, and the water line is low, I hear a loud sucking sound from my skimmer. This obvoiusly means my valve is not working correctly, right?

3) Do you guys trust these 'leak fixer' guys? I'm at my wit's end.

View attachment 74329View attachment 74328View attachment 74330View attachment 74329View attachment 74328View attachment 74330

Thanks for replying, kimkats! I never watched the guy repair the leaks. My I was working and my wife was off at those times. I didn't look to see what he put in place of the fitting - I've been swamped with work. I'll check it out tomorrow evening. I haven't had a working pump in almost two weeks now. I've just been using bleach and swirling it around with my brush. I took the old motor out...but the PITA is going to be figuring out how to remove the impleller/removing PVC connections/making new PVC connections.

You didn't say anything about my valve. Is a valve supposed to stop all suction from the port that is not selected? I removed the valve head, and it certainly looks like it has seen better days. Maybe I'll replace the entire thing.

I need to look up how to remove/replace pool PVC connections...the other steps of replacing the motor/impeller should be a piece of cake.

Unions are your friend: Shop Homewerks Worldwide 1-1/2-in dia PVC Sch 40 Union at Lowes.com when you get it out. Man that is going to be HARD to work on there. You might end up moving the pump back some to get more room at the front of it. :(

Valve-sorry about that miss-yeah it does sound like it needs to be rebuilt or replaced. There should not be any water movement if you have it turned to the off position for the skimmer. Remember there might be positions that allow it to be a tiny bit to skimmer while most of the flow goes to the main drain. Make sure that is not the case.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.