Leaking Magnum Force Pool Pump

Welcome to TFP. Knowing the details of your pool can help us understand what may be happening with your pump. Please put details about your pool in your signature. Click on your name in the top bar and you will find the link for your signature. See https://www.troublefreepool.com/blog/2019/01/18/read-this-before-you-post/

Did you try putting water into the pump basket? It may help prime the pump.

As Allen indicated add water to the suction strainer bowl. If this doesn't work it's almost certainly a gasket leak in the cover or one of the o-rings in the pump assembly. Check to be sure they are all clean and there's no crud in the groove. Lube them with a very small amount of silicone pool lube, take care not to stretch the o-ring. Unless you have an extraordinary lift or long run you should get at least a small flow into the pump almost immediately after you fill the bowl. And remember the pump is not designed to run dry for long periods of time. Water cools the seal assembly.

If you have an air leak and just can't find it try this. Hold a hose over each component so the water covers the potential leak sources. If you notice a change in the sound of the pump you've found a leak source.

I hope this helps.

Chris

As Allen indicated add water to the suction strainer bowl. If this doesn't work it's almost certainly a gasket leak in the cover or one of the o-rings in the pump assembly. Check to be sure they are all clean and there's no crud in the groove. Lube them with a very small amount of silicone pool lube, take care not to stretch the o-ring. Unless you have an extraordinary lift or long run you should get at least a small flow into the pump almost immediately after you fill the bowl. And remember the pump is not designed to run dry for long periods of time. Water cools the seal assembly.

If you have an air leak and just can't find it try this. Hold a hose over each component so the water covers the potential leak sources. If you notice a change in the sound of the pump you've found a leak source.

I hope this helps.

Chris
Thanks for your input. I was able to get the pump to suction by shutting off the solar panels on the roof. But after replacing the gaskets, eye seal, shaft seal, and impeller, I'm still having a small leak at the bottom of the mounting nut. Could the problem stem from a bad seal housing or motor housing bracket. Both are probably 17 years old.

Could be but depends on exactly where the leak is. I don't know the exact location of the part since I don't know the pump model. Any part that is exposed to pump suction conditions have a vacuum when the pump is running and can leak in air. Discharge areas of the housing have positive pressure so the water will leak out and not cause your problem. My experience is the leaks can happen almost anywhere and with a pump that old the housings have taken their share of abuse. These hair line leaks can be difficult to locate. There are a lot of detective tricks. Water dribble works well and I've taped a paper towel on the suspected area and even used water detecting paint (sold at NAPA and used to check for water in the bottom of tanks at gas stations). Make sure you find the actual leak as you can spend a lot of money replacing parts that don't need replacing. The parts you're talking about are usually $50 or less so repair still makes sense so long as you can still find them.

Good luck, I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.