leaking joint at Intex SWG and return hose

Caffeine Chemist

May 3, 2020
Houston, TX
My new Intex 16x32 pool is leaking at the SWG output to the pool.

Krystal Clear 2150 GPH Pump, 16" Sand Filter System and Saltwater generator.

When first assembled it leaked so I took it apart and put it all back together and it ran fine for a while but sometime in the night it opened up again and I lost ~640 gallons overnight.

I can't really tighten the nut as it jumps after once it gets to the point of tight. It is not crossthreaded and there doesn't appear to be any gross defect in the threads of the nut or the SWG output.

The hose holds fine when attached directly to the sand filter. So for now I am doing manual chemistry and running the sand filter.

Any suggestions?

14leaking.jpg

Oh my goodness, that's a stream! I have no idea what the problem could be. My nut is only hand tightened, but I don't have any threads showing on the swg. Does your's have the black rubber ring on the inside? Sorry, I don't have an answer. I hope someone else will come along with some help.

My new Intex 16x32 pool is leaking at the SWG output to the pool.

Krystal Clear 2150 GPH Pump, 16" Sand Filter System and Saltwater generator.

When first assembled it leaked so I took it apart and put it all back together and it ran fine for a while but sometime in the night it opened up again and I lost ~640 gallons overnight.

I can't really tighten the nut as it jumps after once it gets to the point of tight. It is not crossthreaded and there doesn't appear to be any gross defect in the threads of the nut or the SWG output.

The hose holds fine when attached directly to the sand filter. So for now I am doing manual chemistry and running the sand filter.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 142217
Thats the same place mine is leaking!!!!

I just assembled mine and there was a black “ L shaped O Ring” that I had to insert into that location. I believe it was loose inside the box but had some tape stuck to it. So maybe it was taped to the pump somewhere when it was packaged. If you look at the manuals posted on the Intex website you’ll see the part you may be missing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like y’all are missing the black gasket.

Once you locate it, you can use some pool lube (some use Vaseline but I bought a tube of lube) to help you get a good seal.

By the way, you can make your own gasket if needed. I did, I bought a piece of gasket material and used the hose end to measure the size I needed.

I can’t find that cell housing on replacement parts anymore ?? I just see a clear one.. is this one discontinued??

I believe it is. I can’t see it very clearly in the pictures above, but it definitely doesn’t look like any of the models that have been made in the past few years. Intex tends to change their designs at least a little every year or two. So if this is more than a year or two old then it’s likely that it is no longer made. Intex may or may not have spare parts for it. Their spare part supply seems to be pretty hit or miss.

I have the black gasket.. mine grey nut will not go on straight.. it just pops right off

Have you tried connecting another hose, or just turning the hose around? If you use a different hose or a different end of the hose and have the same problem, then it would appear that the SWG is the problem. If you don’t have the same problem then the hose would be the issue. Hopefully that’s the case as the hoses are pretty easy to find an reasonably inexpensive.

I believe it is. I can’t see it very clearly in the pictures above, but it definitely doesn’t look like any of the models that have been made in the past few years. Intex tends to change their designs at least a little every year or two. So if this is more than a year or two old then it’s likely that it is no longer made. Intex may or may not have spare parts for it. Their spare part supply seems to be pretty hit or miss.

This is a brand new system - 2019-2020 version. I wonder if there are just no parts available yet?

Have you tried connecting another hose, or just turning the hose around? If you use a different hose or a different end of the hose and have the same problem, then it would appear that the SWG is the problem. If you don’t have the same problem then the hose would be the issue. Hopefully that’s the case as the hoses are pretty easy to find an reasonably inexpensive.

Yes, all hoses show the same issue but those hoses hold fine on the sand filter or pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.