Leaking hose clamps - ok to use a socket wrench?

Socket driver will work fine but do not over tighten, it will just make any leak worse. PVC fittings will be able to withstands more force if you don't have those now where the hose goes over.

That appears to be drain pipe. You will never get a connection that doesn't leak using the hose clamps.

If you want something that is more resilient to winter than PVC you need to use poly hose. That will take clamps very well.

Pull the hose off, then put a few wraps of teflon tape around the pipe, slide the hose back over it (make sure it's a snug fit), then tighten the clamp with a 3/8" nut driver. Slide that second hose clamp up against the first, in the opposite direction. Don't use a socket wrench, it's easy to over torque and crack the pipe. The nut driver is a screw driver with a socket head. Better than a flat head screw driver, but less torque than a socket wrench.

LIPOOLGUY - Thanks! Interesting...... teflon tape around the pipe, even though there is no threading? I'll have to buy a nut driver. When you say opposite direction.......... look at picture #2 is that what you mean? If not, can you provide a picture??

LIPOOLGUY - Thanks! Interesting...... teflon tape around the pipe, even though there is no threading? I'll have to buy a nut driver. When you say opposite direction.......... look at picture #2 is that what you mean? If not, can you provide a picture??

Exactly what I mean by opposite direction. The closer together they are, the larger the "sealing" area is. Nut drivers are cheap, you can find a set of them at Depot for rather cheap.... http://www.homedepot.com/p/SAE-Nut-Driver-Set-7-Piece-106300071/204663525

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks guys I got all but 1 leak fixed used teflon tape. Didn't have any silicon so now I'm going out to get. Do I apply silicon all around the piping pretty much and slide the hose on? How long should I wait before letting the water flow so the silicon can dry??? Thanks gentelmen

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.