Leaking Hayward SP3400VSP Pump Housing

Jan 13, 2015
phoenix, az
I have a leak in the housing of the Hayward SP3400 VSP pump. Its about 4.5 yrs old. My pool person says its about $500 to fix it but I may want to buy a new pump which is around $1200. Pump works fine. Would love some input from this community. Should fixing the housing be this expensive? If its fixed should I be worried about underlying damage to the pump and instead just replace the whole thing. Appreciate any insight. T110452

Attachments

• IMG_2456.JPG
    IMG_2456.JPG
    482.7 KB · Views: 8
Are you able to verify exactly where the split is? The photos make it look like it could be the base of the union nipple where it meets the housing OR the seal plate/housing seam. The first would require replacement of the housing, the second could be just a new o-ring.

Are you handy? The fluid end of the pump is surprisingly simple - you could swap the guts over to a new housing if that's in fact where the split is.

Thanks for the response. Ill have to double check where it is. I could probably do it, but I would need help and Im gonna be out of town for a while. Im just going to have them do it. But if the part is $250, Ill assume the rate of around $500 is ok, because it includes their prior visit to diagnose it.

I agree on the price being reasonable given the part cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.