Leaking hayward s244t sand filter

Blks197

May 14, 2019
Missouri
Hello I’m a new member and 2nd year into pool ownership. Im looking for direction into what to check into for my leaking filter. The pool is about 5 years old previous owner put it in and I’m still learning the ropes. Today I noticed the water levels had dropped approximately 4 inches in the last 2 days. I noticed the concrete pad is wet and it is coming from underneath the filter. I checked the drain plug near the bottom and it was dry all signs say it’s coming from underneath but before I go tearing it apart and removing all the sand (replaced 2 years ago by previous owner) I figured I would get some direction first. Thanks In advance for any advice it’s greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome! :wave: Well, that is unfortunate because if it is indeed the filter vessel itself, there's nothing you can do. Assuming the pad is dry everywhere else and only wet on top between the filter and pad itself, I'm guessing it's the filter. Maybe some water remained during winter and it cracked. But look closely. Sometimes water can follow up and underneath the inlet/outlet pipes and throw us off the scent. Any signs of water running along the sides to the bottom would be better than a crack underneath.

That’s what I was afraid of. I did close the pool last year myself but I pulled all the plugs and set it to winter while clearing all the lines and filling with rv antifreeze. We did have an unusually harsh winter this year. Did I miss something when closing it? I would hate to make the same mistake at the end of the year if I did make one.

Did I miss something when closing it?
Maybe not. If you removed the drain plug (and psi gauge), that's the biggest part. Some people in very harsh areas will also disconnect and empty the filter then move it under cover (i.e. shed, garage, etc). But I would look closely all around just in case there's a small trickle from somewhere above running down and under the vessel. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.