Leaking filter. Okay, more like gushing

CrystalRiver

Jun 19, 2020
Massachusetts
I have taken over responsibility for a pool that's been neglected for three years. Not winterized at all, not covered, nothing. Needless to say there have been a few parts that I've replaced due to freeze damage.

Filter is a Hayward S166T Vari-Flo. I already replaced the key+gasket because it was leaking. With the handle in Closed position, all is good, no leaks. I set it to Recirculate, turned on the pump, and water came pouring out from the area around the handle, between the handle and cover.

Any ideas?

SP0714T

I definitely know the spring was there, and the washer above the spring. I can't clearly remember the o-ring seal assembly, but I wasn't taking inventory, I just removed the pieces from the old key and transferred them exactly as they were. I'll have to figure out how to stop the pool from draining so I can disassemble the filter and check.

You might consider replacing those items you just swapped. The spring can become worn which then won't apply the proper pressure/leverage required. The shaft O-ring seal can let water seep-through as well. If it's cost efficient, just best to replace all those suspect items. If you don't have a suction side shut-off valve, then you may have to improvise. For an AGP, depending on the location, you should be able to plug the suction port(s) with a rubber plug, tennis ball, or anything that will fit to keep gravity-fed water from gushing down and out.

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog
I would take it apart and check on the O ring #8. Maybe it was rolled out of position, cut or damaged somehow. When going back together remember to use some silicone plumbers lube on those O rings to help them slip smoothly into place and better seal.
Just want to make sure the lube you choose is safe for rubber. Some of the plumbers lubes aren't meant to be used with rubber. Usually if it's silicone it's ok.

Update: the rubber O-ring and Teflon ring (together making part #8) are both missing. I grabbed an O-ring at the hardware store, which I give about a 20% chance of working well enough to get me through a week or so until proper parts arrive. I haven't tried the hardware store ring yet.

The parts diagram is terribly inaccurate at where the parts actually go. Part 8 goes on the shaft of the key, Teflon in the upper groove, rubber in the lower groove. Part 9 (two pieces total) should be one above the spring and one below.

The hardware store parts did not work, as expected. I was able to call around and find a local pool place with the proper parts in stock. The package had two rubber rings and the Teflon clip. Greased everything up, installed it all, and no more leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.