Leaking at the motor/housing

Bama Rambler said:
I wouldn't just buy one until several people have looked at it and inspected the seal area and o-rings/gaskets and sealing surfaces well.

So I took it to Leslies and they couldn't find a crack in the seal plate but agreed that if there was water behind the seal plate that it had to be the seal or a hairline somewhere in the plate. They ordered me another seal plate and if that does not solve the problem they will take it back.

I hope this solves the problem as I am running out of ideas and patience. I guess next step is to just replace the entire housing and be done with it. :x

Just to update:

I ordered a 3 piece kit from Hayward that included a seal plate, back plate and a ceramic seal. I replaced all three yesterday and ran the pump through the night with no leaks so far. I suspect there was a a hairline in the seal plate. Leslies agrees or believes that area where the seal sits had become slighly deformed from heat over the years.

Either way it seems that the seal plate was the issue and I would like to thank those of you that responded and especially those who recomended I check the seal plate. I would have never thought that a solid piece like that could be the problem.

Now i've got my fingers crossed that it has corrected the problem for good.

Sometimes I just glue the seal in using silicone sealant (I use the silicone made for aquariums). That way it is much less likely to leak, and it deals with any minor damage to the seal seat. The seal can still be removed and replaced if necessary.

JamesW said:
Sometimes I just glue the seal in using silicone sealant (I use the silicone made for aquariums). That way it is much less likely to leak, and it deals with any minor damage to the seal seat. The seal can still be removed and replaced if necessary.

That's a good idea and one I wish I had a few weeks and about $100 ago;)

I am having the same problem. My pool shop says it could be a warped seal plate. They have offered to sell me a seal plate and I can bring it back if it does not fix the leak. Maybe your pool shop will do that as well?? I think I will try it. Let us know if you solve the problem and I will as well.

8/20/2017 After taking it apart and getting more familiar with my pump Hayward superpump II, I figured out it is leaking past the housing gasket (flat ribbon gasket). I lifted pump up off the concrete pad with shims to see where the leak was coming from. My pool store gave me a gasket # spx3000. It looked like my old one (the old one was leaking as well). It slips in loosely. Is this a common issue? Is it possible to have the wrong gasket. I tried putting clear silicone seal all over it and let it cure first. Then I put it back together. It slow the leak down, but the leak started again after about a minute of regular pressure (15 psi). The pump is probably 15-20 years old. Pool pump.jpg Help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.