Leaking around the sand filter

Jul 6, 2017
Lynn, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just opened my pool. It's above-ground pool with a sand filter and no deck. This is the second season with my pool and I have never opened it before. I thought it would be pretty straightforward; just the reverse of what I did to close it, then chemical balancing. The hoses and caps were stored indoors but the filter and pump were left outside. For better or worse, I left the top contraption of the filter on over the winter, although covered with a garbage bag. I left the big nut that keeps that lid on outside too. I'm not sure if this was a bad idea.

Well, the chemical stuff has been easy. I did a thorough test of the whole gamut and everything is pretty good, pH started at 7.4. The pool surface was only dirty at the bottom and sides but not green anywhere, and the water was fairly clear. The problem I've had is the filter is leaking in 4 out or 6 spots where there is a hose connection. Despite this, the filter and pump work and the pressure is at about 11 PSI.

Some leaks are just a few drips -- frustrating but manageable. There are a couple leaks that are fast drips or a slow stream, which is rather infuriating. The connections are all very tight; I even used pliers to tighten some connections. I've made the clamps as tight as possible. The only advice I've seen about this is to make sure everything is tight and wiggle and re-tighten the connections. This has changed the leaking some but it hasn't stopped it. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but one thing I know is that I doubt I could hire someone to fix this for such a small job. (Since it's not a full opening and just a tightening of connections.) Maybe someone is willing to come over but I would rather not pay someone for a full opening when I've already done the filling of the pool, chemical balancing, and connecting of the hoses the best I can. I'm pretty sure I didn't lose any O-rings.

Does anyone have any general advice about this? It's frustrating. This is only the second day I've filled it so I can't tell you yet how much it's leaking, but it might be an inch of water a day. If needed I'll supply photos. It occurred to me that perhaps I could hire my local household plumber for this small job.

Pictures would be fantastic!

Disclaimer: This post assumes the leaking water is coming from the connections not being watertight. If the leak is coming from cracks - turn everything off and do not run anything. Cracks in pressurized vessels is not anything to take lightly as they are very dangerous and anything with a crack requires replacement and cannot be repaired.

Without seeing pictures, here is what I'm thinking: Most frequent leaks we see are either the flex hose to hard plumbing adapter hose clamp connection or the adapter threaded connection into the basket/multiport.

Dry it all off and see if you can tell which place it is leaking from, or both.

If the leak is coming from where the hard plumping to flex hose adapter screws into the pump backet/filter/multiport valave then just remove and apply new teflon tape when reinstalling.

If the leaks are coming where the flex hose attaches to the fixed hard plumbing adapter ends of the pump basket/return to pool from filter - then try:
1. off pump and unplug
2. putting the winterize plugs back in skimmer and return jet
3. loosen hose clamp and firmly push flex hose ALL the way on as deep into the flex hose as the fixed tube will go
4. re-tighten the hose clamp about 1/4 inch from the end of the hose
5. dry connections
6. remove winterize plugs and see if it leaks with pump off before turning back on if leaking, don't turn back on, instead repeat steps 2-6 and try again

My pool has been open for a few weeks now, so I have been successful. I am surprised how few posts there online are about leaks, since it must be pretty common. Here is what I found:

I had to drain the pool below the return jet and redo the connections. Some of them I put on very tight so I had a hard time loosening and I had to use large pliers. About water leaks in general, I saw advice about applying silicone grease or nylon tape. So I went to Wal-mart, which did not have silicone grease, but they had silicone "gasket maker" in the automotive section. This sounds like I what I want anyway. So I applied this gummy substance to the threads of two threaded connections, and between the hose and fitting of four clamped connections.

I retightened the connections, refilled the pool, and turned the pump back on. Most of connections weren't leaking at all. One was dripping a little bit but it was so little it doesn't matter much. By today, it might have stopped leaking. I have found also that leaking gets reduced over time when pressure is applied with the pump over several days. So I am all set now. Unfortunately, the big nut at the top of the sand filter was on so tight that I was unable to get it off to apply anything. This might become a problem later on; I hope I figure something out later.

To anyone who is reading this, apply either silicone grease or nylon tape to all threaded and clamped connections. The alternative isn't any fun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.