Leak somewhere in the plumbing?

aralph

Jun 22, 2015
St. Francisville, LA
Posted this in another forum but this seems to be the right place for it. 20x40 in-ground pool. I'm losing 1" a day. Bucket test tells me the leak is outside the pool as it only seems to lose water when the pump is running. It's not the discharge line. No wet spots I can see anywhere. I'm adding salt and CYA pretty regularly so this is getting pricey in addition to the bi-daily water add. Is it time to hire a leak detection company? Thought about buying a pressure test but all that tells me is if it's on the suction or return side - still gotta dig up the yard. Any other ideas? Leak company said they can come at end of month, minimum $500 charge.

How old is the pool? Have you shutoff the pump for a day then Used leak detector ink around these spots?

Suspect sites would be skimmer, main drain or returns.
So did another test and it appears it's leaking with the pump off as well. I think it rained during my previous test and skewed my results. So appears next step is to plug all returns, skimmer and drain holes. What does one normally use to plug these? I can buy the threaded plugs for the returns however the skimmer and drain lines are non-threaded.

So did another test and it appears it's leaking with the pump off as well. I think it rained during my previous test and skewed my results. So appears next step is to plug all returns, skimmer and drain holes. What does one normally use to plug these? I can buy the threaded plugs for the returns however the skimmer and drain lines are non-threaded.
How old is the pool? Have you shutoff the pump for a day then Used leak detector ink around these spots?

Suspect sites would be skimmer, main drain or returns.
Found A leak (not sure if it is THE leak) however it's leaking behind the light at the grounding screw and cord hole. I tested this prior however I didn't get the dye close enough to the hole to see it get sucked in. Apparently the dye test only works if you get it right on the hole. Anyway I covered with JB Weld Underwater, will see what happens.

Found A leak (not sure if it is THE leak) however it's leaking behind the light at the grounding screw and cord hole. I tested this prior however I didn't get the dye close enough to the hole to see it get sucked in. Apparently the dye test only works if you get it right on the hole. Anyway I covered with JB Weld Underwater, will see what happens.
This turned out to be the source of the leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.