Leak- Please Help- So Frustrated

AdamS

Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2015
New Milford, New Jersey
i Everyone,

I hope some of you can help me troubleshoot, let me give the details.

The 2nd half of last season I was sure I had a leak, did some test, possibly found a few small holes and patched them in the liner and then it was time to close the pool, I convinced myself it was ok and had the pool closed. All winter I was nervous water would go out so periodically I would put my hand in and the water level stayed high. When my pool was open, the water level was super high so I thought I was good to go!

Now a week and a half later I am losing too much water and it is stressing me out! Please help. 2 nights ago I lost 3/4 of an inch, last night a lottle less than that. It has been cold here, especially at night. I did the bucket test, and the pool definitely seems to be losing more than the bucket.

A few questions:
1. Is the bucket test valid, I was told the pool is such a larger surface area that it would always lose more to evaporation?

2. What is the next troubleshoot step? Shut the pool off and plug everything up? If you can be specific with steps/ideas I would appreciate it!

3. Anyone in Northern NJ know someone good and honest who does this professionally? I really do not want to spend the money but I am getting so stressed out by this. the pool is supposed to be relaxing, not stressful.

Really appreciate any of your help!

I'm curious where your backwash port is and where it leads. Since you didn't lose any while it was sitting, the problem might be that it's running now. A leaking multiport hardplumbed into a sewer or leading off somewhere may trickle whenever the pump is on and you'll never see it.

Im not great with all the terminology but I do have access to the bckwash port and when I use it I run the blue hose to street.

A couple other facts: I do seem to be having a small leak where the pipe goes into the basket by the filter, would that be enough to cause such a water loss? How do I fix that? I have some white tape around the connection but water is coming off there, not a lot.

Also the last 2 nights, I marked the line after pump was off, went back out before it was back on and had lost water.

This has been driving be crazy!

Richard, I always appreciate your help!!

- - - Updated - - -

Pool Basket connection.jpg

That leaking fitting looks like an inline chlorinator. If you can find the brand on it, you can probably get news rubber gaskets. I think that's called a saddle clamp. Don't hold me to it.

If it isn't at the filter, then you'll need to start worrying about skimmers and steps and all the rest. Try searching Leak Detection using the search box upper right.

The bucket test is pretty accurate.
Meaning if there is more water in the bucket than the pool then the water is going somewhere.
Evaporation should be the same for the bucket and the pool.

Its hard to find leaks so don't get too discouraged. There is some trial and error but there are common areas for leaks in liner pools.
Skimmers
Light Niches
Returns
Around stairs
and others can chime in that have liner pools.

How old is the liner?

B

Its about 10 years old.

In the picture, there is a small leak where you see the white plummer tape; can I put putty to stop that or is there something else to do?

I will try to use the dye kit around those common areas, should I shut off all equipment and plug everything up to see if I still lose?

Thanks, sorry for delay in responding. So I should not try to just put a putty around to seal it?
This is not an area of strength for me, is getting that fitting out easy? Thank you!
Putty won't stick to the teflon tape that is already there.

And I made a mistake earlier. I thought you were talking about where the thin line meets the white pipe. If it's where the pipe meets the pump, it has to come apart and get rewrapped with tape and screwed back together. ANy plumber, pool tech, or even handyman should be able to handle it if you're not mechanically inclined.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If that pipe is the main cause of your leak you'd see a substantial amount of water under the pump. About that pipe, it's on the pressure side of the system (the pipes that go from your drains and skimmer are on the suction side).

The pressure side pushes water out of the pump, to the filter and back to the pool. The suction side pulls water from the drains and skimmer.

A pressure side leak will try to push water out, so trying to repair it with tape, or putty won't work well. The water will push right past it. That's why the fitting needs to be replaced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.