leak identification and solution

Sorry … thought i had pasted this in the other post

More….

The BUCKET TEST can be performed a couple ways, and we have a few tips to help make it as accurate as possible. In either case, if you have an auto-fill, ensure it is OFF.

Probably the most simple method of leak detection is done by marking water levels on a bucket with tape or a marker. To do this, use any general purpose bucket and fill it fairly close to the top with pool water. If the water level in the bucket is too low, wind won’t impact water in the bucket the same way it does in the pool, so results may vary. Then place the bucket in the pool on the steps or whatever shelf you may have available so that a majority of the bucket is submerged. This helps to keep the bucket water temperate close to the pool water temperature.
Previous
Bucket-3-1024x768.jpg

Probably the most simple method of leak detection is done by marking water levels on a bucket with tape or a marker.
Bucket-4-1024x768.jpg

Simply mark the waterlines with a marker or tape on the inside and outside of the bucket. If the outside (pool) waterline drops significantly more than the inside bucket water level, you probably have a leak.
Bucket-1-1024x768.jpg

By using a bucket that is transparent so you can see waterlines from either side.
Next
The bucket may try to float-up on you. If it does, you can place a brick or heavy/large stone in the bucket to help weight it down. Once the bucket is in place, the two water lines (pool and bucket levels) will probably not be the same height. Simply mark the waterlines with a marker or tape on the inside and outside of the bucket to show the starting points and monitor the water level changes for 24 hours. If the outside (pool) waterline drops significantly more than the inside bucket water level, your pool is losing water due to a leak.

The other method eliminates the tape and marker by using a bucket that is transparent so you can see waterlines from either side. Try placing an empty transparent bucket on the steps or shelf in the pool water. You’ll have to hold it down for now. You should clearly see the pool water level through the inside of the bucket. Now with a cup, begin filling the transparent bucket with pool water to match the pool waterline

Reactions: SoDel
I'm at at least double the evap rate.
All I can share is my limited experience with this type of problem. In your shoes, I would find a leak detection outfit that has one of these and knows how to use it (along with all the other leak location equipment)

I watched the guys do their thing at my pool and the benefit of the above tool is they can tell you in about 15 minutes if you have a leak, go forward to test everything, isolate or fix the leak if there is one, and verify there are no additional leaks, all same day. I started with my own trial and error process at first and while I did narrow down where it likely was, I also spent money on water and necessary balancing chemicals, salt, etc., and had an unpleasantly swampy yard area for much longer than I would have if I had just called the experts right away. Only you can decide if the fee they charge is worth it to you, but in my case it was by far worth it just to know quickly and definitively pool leak or not (ok, in my case I knew there had to be a pool leak based on the salt level dilution), have it located and repaired, and overwith.

In the end I waited for the water to drain naturally / leak and when it was below skimmer level, ripped out the old silicone and reapplied it. I found a gap in the skimmer where the concrete part of the skimmer entrance meets the plastic part of the skimmer that contains the mesh basket.

I gave the silicone 24 hours to cure and refilled. A few days later and I don't see any reduction in water level at all so that must have been where the leak was. It's 100% silicone caulking so hopefully it will hold this time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.