Leak down to skimmer intake

Drkitty

May 3, 2021
Belleville, Ontario
On Monday, our inground pool water level dropped two inches overnight. I refilled it (which I realize now I should not have done) and by dark it had reached just above the skimmer intake. It was still at that level this morning. So the skimmer well is full and there is maybe an eighth of an inch of water along the bottom of the skimmer box/intake (sorry if I’m using incorrect terms). The leak continued at about the same rate whether the pump was on or off.

The pool has a Jacuzzi skimmer (model W 8395?) With two holes at the bottom; one in from the main drain and one out to the pump. This is the liner’s first season and there have been no detectable leaks since opening end April. I am a new pool owner, but the pool is 20 years old.

The only “events” in the past few days: (1) I discovered that a skimmer is supposed to have a weir (door?) and identified a broken one left for us in a box of pool bits. It worked well enough to help me manage a sudden overload of pollen, but popped out when anyone was swimming. I see no way it could have damaged the skimmer box or liner. (2) I blocked off the main drain and put a skimmer sock on the basket to help with the pollen problem. 12 hours after I put the sock on, I checked the skimmer and it was barely moving water with the sock absolutely clogged with pollen. (3) I cleaned out the pump filter which I have done before. (4) the pump has developed an intermittent shimmy (this is new). It goes away for a while when the pump is stopped and started again.

I have called the pool service that installed the liner and he is coming over to find the leak in a few days. He is sure it can’t be the liner and is expecting a broken pipe. Maybe I shouldn’t even be posting this since we should have an answer soon, but I’d like to understand the pool system flow a bit better and the pool guy, although friendly, always seems way too busy to badger with questions. Sometimes I do anyway.

Questions:

Can water flow backwards through the entire system or are the pressure side and suction side effectively separate? ie. Can a leak in the suction side draw water out through the returns? I can’t imagine how it would get past the sand filter.

The pool pump loses prime when I open it to clean. I assumed this meant the pump is above or at the pool water levels and there is no check valve, but when I block the skimmer hole, it still loses half its water. Where could the rest of this water go?

I have a few other questions, but will start with those. Thanks to anyone who can help me understand. It was certainly easier going the Y.

Can water flow backwards through the entire system or are the pressure side and suction side effectively separate?
With the pump off, the system can equalize if no check valves are installed.
Where could the rest of this water go?
Out the returns. When equipment is above the water line, and you open a component of the system, ie the pump basket lid, you vent the system and the water will drain out. That should NOT be happening with the pump off, if it does, then you have a leak in the equipment area.

Thanks so much for the reply. In my head, the sand filter seemed like an impassable barrier for water travelling backwards without a pump to help it, but obviously that’s not the case.

Happy to report I found the leak yesterday and my adventures with the skimmer weir were partly responsible. Sometime in the past, one of “holes” in the skimmer wall where the pins on the side of the weir click into place actually became a real hole in the skimmer. So instead of just an indent, there is a hole right through the plastic. Can’t imagine how that happened.

It’s hard to explain, but the hole had been plugged with a piece someone had fashioned that both plugged the hole and provided a new indent on the pool side for the weir pin. Ingenious really. I found the piece in the skimmer the morning of the leak but the penny didn’t drop. I just thought it was a part of the weir apparatus and since there wasn’t one on the other side, it was probably not needed.

It was only when I was buying a new weir door from a local pool shop and asked if I needed a new piece for the other side that I realized what must have happened. The shop owner with years of experience insisted there is no extra piece...

Who knew that much water could empty out through such a tiny hole!!! Fortunately I had exactly the right size of rubber plug for the hole (don’t ask) and once plugged, the pool held water. I kept the piece and am now trying to get someone with the right glue to put it back in. Hopefully, the repair won’t need to be repeated too often, but it’s hard to know how functional it really is as I had not tried to put a weir in until a few days ago.

Anyway, longish story, but I thought it was interesting. Thanks again for helping me with the mechanics of the system. There’s an awful lot to know about pools.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.