Denver, CO
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Tonight I went to the mechanical room and saw a puddle under our Pentair sand filter. For quite some time I've seen a white powdery build-up around the gauge threads, which for a saltwater pool is evident of a very minor leak. However, starting today when the pump is running it drips about twice per second. Upon closer inspection, I see that the plastic threads that the gauge is screwed into have a crack. Our incompetent pool builder probably over-tightened the gauge, so the plastic has now cracked since it's a tapered thread.

Below are a couple of pictures. My first question: is it much work to change out that plastic piece on top of the filter that the gauge screws into? If not, any idea where I could get one, and any links to instructions? Just knowing what it's called would be helpful. Otherwise, if changing it out isn't a good option, any ideas on a product that I could use to seal the threads good enough that it won't leak, even with the crack? I'm guessing not since it experiences up to 35PSI during backwash, but maybe somebody knows of some magic putty or something that would work. Or if anybody knows what the plastic material is, maybe I could get an appropriate glue to seal the crack.

Thanks!
Ryan

20161211_195715.jpg 20161211_195726.jpg

Any idea where I find the filters part number? I don't see it anywhere on the filter. I see there are threads on the 273564, but it doesn't screw directly into the black top, there's a nut under it, huh? I've never had that apart, will I find myself with a sandy mess when I unscrew it? Real bummed that it's a $60 part, but I guess it could be worse. Thanks for the part number, it at least looks correct. If you can point me to where a part number would be then I'll get it to you. Thanks.

I just checked our contract and it says that the filter would be a Pentair TR100C. Rather or not that's actually what was installed... I'm not sure how to determine.

The filter should have a label somewhere. TR100C looks right.

In any case, I think that the part is correct. You should have a lid wrench that fits on the black lid.

With the pump off, open the air relief and then unscrew the black lid. Then remove the nut to replace the clear air relief body.

Make sure that the pump timer is not going to turn on the pump while you're working.

Before removing the lid, make a mark with a marker to know the orientation of the lid so that the pressure gauge will end pointing in the right direction.

Use silicone lube on the orings. Maybe get new orings just in case.

Pretty easy. No sandy mess expected.

Also, if you're getting to 35 psi, you're probably running the rpm too high.

Turns out super glue works REALLY well on that plastic fitting. There were two cracks in it, so I glued them both really well. It only drips about one drop a minute now, compared to several drops a second previously. This should get me by until I get in the replace part.

Thanks for pointing me to the replacement part number and tips on installation, that would have been very hard to figure out on my own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.