Leak and new pool owner

smenzel

Aug 8, 2019
McDonough, GA
So I am a new pool owner. Moved in about 2 months ago and started working on our 24ft above ground pool. After a LONG slam process, we finally have had a working pool for about 2 weeks. My son and husband swam in it today and after they were done he brushed the pool. (He noticed a algae actually came up when he did it which was new) and went inside.

I came out a few hours later to test it and noticed the water was really low. I look around the pool and there are significant puddles around it.

Asked my husband if he felt anything when he brushed and he didn't. So now we are dealing with what seems a pretty significant leak. I turned off the pump because the water is already so low.

I just read TFP's leak detection info. Any more tips on detection leak? The article was pretty generic. Like what product do you use to fix it and how exactly do you repair it?

I'm just wondering the best way to go about all this. Pretty bummed right now. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20190915_221537.jpg
    20190915_221537.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190915_221543.jpg
    20190915_221543.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190915_221600.jpg
    20190915_221600.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Sorry to hear about that. Leaks are generally first isolated between either the plumbing or pool/liner itself. If you don't see a visible leak anywhere aroud the equipment or hoses, you can bet it's somewhere in that liner. If you never had a leak before they went swimming or the brushing, then something probably caused a tear. Either something from inside the pool, or you have something under the liner just close enough to where it poked through once pressure was applied. The trick now is finding it.

Once the tear is found, there are countless vinyl repair kits that can be used to patch a tear. It may not be cosmetically perfect, but it works as long as the tear isn't right-up against a crease or something like that. For now, someone will have to just get in there and take their time inspecting the liner.

Great. Thank you. Swam all around today trying to find something to no avail. May have to have someone come take a look. In the meantime I can't run the pump or vacuum because it's below the skimmer. How can I keep the pool clean until then? It's already cloudy ?.

Sorry to hear about that. Leaks are generally first isolated between either the plumbing or pool/liner itself. If you don't see a visible leak anywhere aroud the equipment or hoses, you can bet it's somewhere in that liner. If you never had a leak before they went swimming or the brushing, then something probably caused a tear. Either something from inside the pool, or you have something under the liner just close enough to where it poked through once pressure was applied. The trick now is finding it.

Once the tear is found, there are countless vinyl repair kits that can be used to patch a tear. It may not be cosmetically perfect, but it works as long as the tear isn't right-up against a crease or something like that. For now, someone will have to just get in there and t

You can continue to add some regular bleach/chlorine then stir/sweep it aournd manually. That should help. In addition, if you have a spare sump pump of some type you can drop it in the pool and let it move water around. Any little bit helps.

YOU SHOULD MEASURE AND MAKE A NOT OF THE WATER LEVEL. IF IT CONTINUES TO DROP, THEN YOU KNOW THE LEAK IS BELOW THE WATER LINE. Sorry for the caps lock LOL.
If suddenly the water stops dropping, then you know you are below the leak. But I suspect it's somewhere on the bottom possibly near the seam.
Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.