Gold Supporter
Jun 3, 2019
Indiana, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello! Opening our pool this year to a thick coating of leaf like green algae. This is my 3rd season opening the pool, haven't had algae like this before. When I brush the pool it stirs it up, and it almost looks like small green leaves floating in the water, but it is actually algae. It then settles back to the bottom again. I started the SLAM process yesterday morning. I've vacuumed to waste a few times, but the algae is so thick it clogs the filter basket. What I've found works best is brushing in one direction, letting it all settle, then using a leaf rake to get the algae out.

I started with CYA at 0, I'm working on raising that number, I'm somewhere between 10-20 right now. It was overcast today, I'm going through about 1PPM of free chlorine every 2 hours. Keeping my chorine level at 10PPM. I've made significant progress in less than 48 hours, just feeling like the algae will never be gone! :)

Any other recommendations on how to handle this nasty algae situation? Also, any ideas on what might have caused this situation this year? I followed the process here for closing, and waited until the water was under 60 degrees. I have a mesh cover, so am used to opening to a dirty pool, but not an algae covered pool!!!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Snoobug
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.