Layer of Dirt in Pool after Rain (Above Ground Pool)?

DB-Cooper

Jun 18, 2019
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
So last night we had an aggressive/violent storm role through and deliver about an inch and a half of much needed water. It came with some wind and was coming in kind of sideways (20+ mph winds/gusts). My pool is fortunately built above ground (see signature for details). It stays VERY clean. I get a few leaves that b low in, but the pool was free of debris despite the wind.

My crystal clear pool looked a little murky and upon brushing I saw pretty consistent plumes of dirt being brushed. It was in the hot-tub as well, and the hot-tub is elevated above the decking which rules out my deck draining into the pool being the only source. My splash pad was definitely the worst and that has the most surface area contact with my deck; it's also very shallow allowing for fast settling. The splash pad is always the dirtiest given it's location and size, so that's no surprise. My deck is angled down with really good drainage, but the wind direction was from the SE going NE which does blow directly from the deck into the pool.

The robot is doing a good jump with the thicker filters and the pump/filter easily cleaned out the spa in no time. I have no fear I'll get the pool clean again shortly, it's already clearing up and repeated brushing is yielding almost no dirt now. I'm letting the dirt settle and running the robot non-stop.

I did raise FC to 11 this morning and after 8 hours tested and have 0 CC, all other chemicals are testing fine and I'm within CSI. I've had a much dirtier pool due to construction and prior to my decking being finished I had actual mud come in. I also had concrete dust, etc. Those situations yielded a MUCH dirtier pool. This is just a little cloudy. Anyways, can rain in a storm itself bring dirt? I suppose anything is possible, maybe the wind and things pickup pollen/dirt off trees and carry it? It is hard for me to rationalize though. It's also a bummer as I was excited in the middle of the night to hear the hard rain since my pool was a bit low and I just put some sod plugs in my lawn. However, my excitement quickly turned into disappointment as I'll have to spend a few hours doing various pool water cleanup and a backwash once I'm clean again.

Filter PSI and pump RPM is remaining stable (VSF so I can tell if the pump is working harder at the same flow) so no real concerns, but just wondering if other people have seen this where just rain from the air without runoff could cause such a result.

OH YES, Wind can and will move lots and lots of dirt and pools love to stop the dirt in its tracks... it is worse when there is a project going on nearby that has lots of exposed dirt... are there new houses being built? open fields... I think there were 60 MPH gusts in some of those storms that came through...

OH YES, Wind can and will move lots and lots of dirt and pools love to stop the dirt in its tracks... it is worse when there is a project going on nearby that has lots of exposed dirt... are there new houses being built? open fields... I think there were 60 MPH gusts in some of those storms that came through...
Nothing too crazy in terms of construction. I had a small deck project and my neighbor a larger one.

I forgot when I wrote this that this storm was severe for several hundred miles and calmed down significantly as it approached Austin. Areas earlier in its path were under severe tornado threats and some smaller tornadoes may have popped up. I’m guessing the cloud could’ve been holding a lot of dust/dirt and other things as they flew through the sky. I’m not a meteorologist or expert, but it could be related. Most rain, even hard rain in Austin isn’t typically associated with tornado threats.

Also, we get high winds all the time, but I’ve never seen just that create any noticeable amount of dirt.

One other hypothesis given the atypical direction of the storm is that rain from the roof got blown into the pool. I imagine my roof was dusty. Wind was strong enough and in the perfect direction to make that happen. The dirt is very fine, not like mud or sand. Oh well, will continue to clean up.

Sorry for the multiple posts, but spoke with someone nearby that has trees and a pool more likely to get dirty and he didn't notice anything. It then dawned on me that the ONLY reason I even grabbed my brush to clean was because I saw the dirt lying in the low area of my BRAND NEW ledge loungers. Since they're off-white (Cloud) the dirt was very noticeable. It wasn't until I brushed that I saw the dirt on the plaster as well.

I've also sometimes been shocked to get the brush (usually weekly) and notice more dirt than expected on the splash pad (which doesn't get robot love). I'm guessing if I didn't have the ledge loungers, I would have ignored it and the filter+robot would've cleaned it up by time a nice day rolled around and I did extensive pool cleaning. Given how overcast and grey it is, even though it's a bit cloudy, I likely would've chalked it up to being so dark/overcast on why it didn't look crystal clear.

So my guess is it's multiple factors, but it was the brand new ledge loungers that were the catalyst for me to go "clean". Since getting the ledge loungers, this is the first storm, but besides the storm, their contrast shows me a lot more bugs and little things than I ever noticed before.

Reactions: cowboycasey
We got more rain over the last night than the previous night. However, it wasn't as windy nor did it have some of the tornado ties from other regions. I walked down to the pool already defeated, but I was surprised that the pool showed no dirt. The ledge loungers were perfectly clean and the pool looked clearer than the day before (robot ran overnight).

So I think there are different storm characteristics, but I feel better knowing it's not a major cleanup after every storm.

Well that is better :) You have some massive rain just below you this morning, some places getting 5 inches in a couple hours...

Well that is better :) You have some massive rain just below you this morning, some places getting 5 inches in a couple hours...

Yeah tonight and tomorrow are supposed to get anywhere from 1-3". I was going to wait until the end of these storms to backwash, but given my pool was fully filled, I gave it a thorough backwash today since it's more or less free water and I wouldn't mind getting my CH down with even more water replacement. I'm due for a tear down, but will probably wait until end of May for that just to let these early Summer storms run their course.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can confirm that despite maybe 6-8 seriously intense storms since I posted this, only that first storm dropped any dirt. I believe it was related to it having updraft and coming through west Texas and Mexico, probably picking up lots of dust and dirt and it just manifested into a super cell rain dump right in my area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.