Latest test results now that we have circulation

I don't see anything that resembles a production date. Do I have to know a secret code?

Checked Chlorine again last night and it ead down to 3. Dumped in more chlorine. I am going to go out and check it this morning when I get home. The kids really want to swim today. How long aftet adding bleach do we need to wait before getting in? I am not concerned about the dirty water it is the chemicals.

Kids can get in within minutes of adding bleach if you mix it with the brush a couple sweeps. They'll finish mixing it.

Somewhere on the box of chlorine there will be a stamp that is probably the year and then the day. But not monthly, the actual day of the year. I forget what it's called, but January 1 is day 1. February 1 is 32 and so on.

OK, I am familiar with the Julian calendar. I haven't looked at the production date yet, but I need to buy some more so I will check it before purchase.

We still do not have sparkling clean water. It is still just dingy and dark looking, not really any green coloring though. We can almost see the bottom of the ladder, but not quite. If standing in the pool and putting your face in the water you can't quite see the bottom, but it is better then it was. I am doing my best to keep the Chlorine level up, but it seems to keep dropping below 12.

I did check the CYA again and it seems to still be at 30. Is this normal???? Will it stay where it is supposed to? Do I need to keep checking it?

I guess I need to be checking the chlorine more often and making sure it stays up. Will the chlorine clear the water if it is not algae? Do I need to do anything else to my filter? I backwash it when it rises just a little.

THANKS!!!

CYA doesn't normally change too much on its own, although backwashing & topping up will take it down and I think it drifts down very slowly on its own. You don't need to test very often anyways -- usually FC and pH are the only ones you need to test frequently.

Chlorine plus filtering will usually clear pretty much everything -- the primary exception IIRC is discoloration from metals and that doesn't sound like what you have. As long as your pool is still consuming chlorine quickly then just keep at it.

re: backwashing, I think the rule of thumb is to backwash when pressure goes up 25% from the just-cleaned value. Doing it more often than that will sometimes slow down your filtering because a bit of dirt in the filter makes it more effective.

OK, good to hear on the CYA. The only reason I checked it is because I had to bring it up just over a week or so ago and I wanted to make sure it was still there.

When I backwashed this morning (filter was at 15%, normal/clean level is 10%) the water came out looking like mud. I haven't seen it that dirty before so that was kind of encouraging. The kids and I swam for an hour and a half yesterday afternoon and I also brushed everything while I was in there. There really doesn't feel like there is anything on the liner. Nothing slimy or dirty feeling. Some of the bottom has some sand on it (THANKS to our 6 year old throwing it in). There is no debris, just the water is still dirty.

I have been sick for a couple of weeks and am now on the mend, so I will try and be more focused on keeping the chlorine level up.

Chlorine is down again. I added the chlorine I have on hand and hubby will pick up some more on his way home. I am about 6 cups short. Oh and I was able to see a hint of the liner pattern in the bottom of the shallow end. I haven't seen it before from the ladder. So, I think we are still making progress.

I am still fighting getting the water clear. I have been checking the chlorine 3 or 4 times a day and adding the chlorine needed according to pool school. I have brushed and brushed and run Wanda (for as long as she will run), plus today I spent considerable time using a vacuum attachment we have.

We swam on Friday night for about 45 minutes. I brushed almost the entire time. I backwashed this morning. The kids and I swam for about an hour and a half around lunch time today. I spent most of the time vacuuming. When we got out I backwashed again. Ran the chlorine test and added as needed. Tonight we had some friends over and they swam for 2+ hours. After they left I had to backwash again. That is 3 times I backwashed today. I know that means there is more dirt coming out, but the water is still quite dirty looking. Again I ran the chlorine test and added chlorine accordingly.

Am I missing something? It seems like this process has been going on forever. I admit I was a slacker for several days because I was sick, but the last several days I have been checking it multiple times a day and adding as needed. Is there something else I can do to get the water to clear up? Do I need to run another full set of results?

I will try and take a photo in the morning and post it for comparison to the prior photos.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I have been letting the filter pressure rise before I back wash. I have found that the filter likes to be around 15% after I backwash. So when the gauge gets to 17% or 18% then I have backwashed. Maybe that is too soon. I was thinking that if the pressure is rising that I need to get it cleaned so it will work better. But you are saying it will filter better when it is a bit dirty?

If my clean pressure is 15% then at what pressure do you recommend that I backwash at?

I have also been inquiring about my Wanda pool cleaner. Should would be nice to get her to work properly and not be a beached whale!!! :) http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/77131-Wanda-the-Whale-and-a-Leaf-Canister-Questions

THANKS so much, I guess we will keep at it!!!

Still treading water and making progress. Have brushed and vacuumed several times as well as the kids doing some swimming to stir up the dirt on the bottom. Tonight I was pleasantly surprised to see the bottom of the pool quite clearly. I decided that I would try the overnight test tonight. I waited for the sun to go down and did an FC test. I am not a morning person so I would prefer to stay up late and do my second test. How many hours do I need to wait between the time of the original test to the follow up test? I know I read somewhere that you can go out and check it again at 1:00 in the morning, but if I can do it sooner I would rather do that.

Also, we are getting more storms and rain tonight so is that going to affect anything?

THANKS for all of the support through this lengthly process. I am sure this could have been wrapped up sooner, but I just wasn't as diligent as I should have been.

Ok, I did the first FC check after the sun was down around 8:30. I went out again at 1:00 this morning and did the follow up FC test. It was the same as the first test, so no FC lost in 4 and 1/2 hours so does that mean we passed the OCLT? Or was there not enough time between the tests?

The water is still cloudy in my opinion. I took a photo last night around 7:30 pm before I started the OCLT test.

I probably need to do a full set of test results as I haven't done them for quite a while. What else can I do to clear up the water. It just doesn't seem to have the "crystal" sparkle that you all talk about.

So, if I have finished slamming then how do I determine what my new FC goal is? And how do I determine what my average daily FC consumption is so I can replenish it?

I probably need to do a full set of test results as I haven't done them for quite a while. What else can I do to clear up the water. It just doesn't seem to have the "crystal" sparkle that you all talk about.

So, if I have finished slamming then how do I determine what my new FC goal is? And how do I determine what my average daily FC consumption is so I can replenish it?
The clearing takes filtering and time.

Run a full set of tests after FC drops below 10.

Your CYA determines your minimum FC. Poolmath will say something like Goal: 3 to 7. 3 is minimum. 7 is what you target. So if you target 7 and the next day when you test again, you're at 5, you target a little lower . If you find yourself at 2.5, then you need to target a little higher. It will take you only a couple days to figure it out.

Test results as of this afternoon. I did not get test results yesterday as we had some bad weather. Haven't heard if it was a tornado or straight line winds yet, but this happened to a building about 3 miles away from us. :( It was a fully finished office and farm equipment storage building. I think there were injuries involved because there was an ambulance at the scene.

PH 7.5
FC .5
CC 0
TA 100
CH 90
CYA - less then 20, the dot never disappeared

The pool is WAY full with all of the rain we got with the storm. Need to drain some off. It is quite clear though!!!! :swim: :)

So, before I add any chemicals, do I now change my "goals"? I think I have completed the SLAM process.

THANKS!!!

Test results as of this afternoon. I did not get test results yesterday as we had some bad weather. Haven't heard if it was a tornado or straight line winds yet, but this happened to a building about 3 miles away from us. :( It was a fully finished office and farm equipment storage building. I think there were injuries involved because there was an ambulance at the scene.

PH 7.5
FC .5
CC 0
TA 100
CH 90
CYA - less then 20, the dot never disappeared

The pool is WAY full with all of the rain we got with the storm. Need to drain some off. It is quite clear though!!!! :swim: :)

So, before I add any chemicals, do I now change my "goals"? I think I have completed the SLAM process.

THANKS!!!
Yep. Now you can raise CYA and the corresponding FC minimum and have at it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.