Last minute water chemistry advice needed before closing tomorrow

gwtw

Apr 23, 2018
Kentucky
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm closing tomorrow and need to know if I should adjust any of my chemicals today before closing to compensate for the fact that all of my chemicals will get diluted by the rain over the winter because of my mesh cover. I plugged my numbers into the pool calculator and it says that my CSI will be corrosive once the temperature drops which concerns me since I have tile to protect. I'm closing before the temperature has dropped below 60 so I plan on adding polyquat tonight after I get everything balanced and vacuum out the pool:

Here are my current numbers:
FC: 7.5
CC is .5
CYA: 40
PH: 7.8-8.0
CH: 210
TA: 80

I assume that I need to lower my PH to 7.4-7.6 before adding the polyquat. If I do this, it will lower my TA which concerns me since it is only 80 now and I always open up to low TA, PH, CYA and algae because of the mesh cover. Should I increase TA with some baking soda before lowering the PH? If so, how high should I increase it and how long do I wait before lowering the PH with acid? Should I go ahead and close with the PH where it is now to make the CSI more more favorable since my calcium level is rather low and I have tile to protect and PH may go down because of the rainfall? If I need to decrease PH and also increase TA, I need to know how long I need to wait after adding each chemical and how long I should wait before adding the polyquat. I want to make sure everything is balanced before adding the polyquat because I'm closing before water temperature is below 60 so I'm worried that algae will set in before the water temperature drops down more.

I'd also love some advice on what I could do to get the polyquat mixed in real good since I won't be able to run the pump 24 hours after adding it like is recommended on here and I'm closing with water temperature above 60 degrees. Since it is rather thick compared to chlorine, I'm wondering if it would help if I dissolved some in a bucket of cold pool water and either poured it around the perimeter of the pool or in front of each return and brush afterwards.

Lower your pH to 7.4, your FC is fine, your TA will be fine, pour in the PQ 60 and let it mix for as long as you can, and close your pool.

You will be fine.

Lower your pH to 7.4, your FC is fine, your TA will be fine, pour in the PQ 60 and let it mix for as long as you can, and close your pool.

You will be fine.
Thanks for the advice. How long should I wait after lowering the PH before adding the polyquat? Because of high winds, I'm going to have to wait until late this afternoon to vacuum out the pool so I won't be charged $100 to get the pool vacuumed before closing. I planned on adding the muriatic acid and polyquat after vacuuming and let the pump run overnight. I'd also love some advice on how to get the polyquat mixed in since the pump will only be running about 12 hours after it is added. Do you think it would help to dissolve it in bucket of water and pour it around the perimeter and brush afterwards or would just pouring it around the perimeter and brushing afterwards be sufficient? Should the majority of it be placed in the deep end and can it be put in the deep end by slowly pouring it in front of a return or should it be poured around the perimeter of the deep end and brushed in? This early close has me worried because it was in the low 80s yesterday so the water temperature has risen to around 67 degrees so I want to make sure the polyquat is going to protect my water from algae until it cools down some.

Thanks for the advice. How long should I wait after lowering the PH before adding the polyquat?

No wait.

Because of high winds, I'm going to have to wait until late this afternoon to vacuum out the pool so I won't be charged $100 to get the pool vacuumed before closing. I planned on adding the muriatic acid and polyquat after vacuuming and let the pump run overnight.

Whatever works for you.

You can add the MA and PQ before vacuuming.

You are trying to micro manage your water chemistry too much.

I'd also love some advice on how to get the polyquat mixed in since the pump will only be running about 12 hours after it is added.

Just pour the PQ into the pool and however long the pump runs it will be fine.

Do you think it would help to dissolve it in bucket of water and pour it around the perimeter and brush afterwards or would just pouring it around the perimeter and brushing afterwards be sufficient?

No.

Should the majority of it be placed in the deep end and can it be put in the deep end by slowly pouring it in front of a return or should it be poured around the perimeter of the deep end and brushed in?

Does not matter.

This early close has me worried because it was in the low 80s yesterday so the water temperature has risen to around 67 degrees so I want to make sure the polyquat is going to protect my water from algae until it cools down some.

You will be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.