Southeast, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Anyone else here from PA dealing with the spotted lanternfly invasion in your pool this year? I’m running the pump constantly and there’s always at least 100 on the surface. After I skim, 50 will fall back in. Any tricks on dealing with these suckers? We live in the woods, which doesn’t help...

I am seeing the same thing here in NYC. They are everywhere. Do these pest do any damage to filters or pumps? Or the water’s chemistry? I usually find a bunch trying to swim or they get sucked into the skimmer.

This year seems to be worse than last year. I hate these things! They completely creep me out.

I don’t think I have it as bad as some but it’s getting worse. We must have swatted at least 20 on my deck this weekend, and I had at least another 15-20’in the skimmer.

I gotta get some tape wrap. My biggest concern is them killing my trees. With the lack of rain this year and these things sucking the life out of the trees it’s a recipe for more issues with trees falling.

This year seems to be worse than last year. I hate these things! They completely creep me out.

I don’t think I have it as bad as some but it’s getting worse. We must have swatted at least 20 on my deck this weekend, and I had at least another 15-20’in the skimmer.

I gotta get some tape wrap. My biggest concern is them killing my trees. With the lack of rain this year and these things sucking the life out of the trees it’s a recipe for more issues with trees falling.
I’m only a few miles away from you in NYC but it looks like these things are here to stay. In the fall, I’ll be on the lookout for any eggs however not sure how effective it’d be. I’ve found about 6 dead ones in my skimmer yesterday and I just emptied it out Thursday evening.
The worst part is, if you kill it the honeydew substance comes out and attracts bees and ants.

Reactions: Decoy205

We are in Somerset County NJ and last year we killed hundreds if not thousands. No regular bug spray works. They love tree of heaven, maple trees, fruit trees etc. You have to kill the eggs in the fall. I used dawn dish soap on them and it works but it takes a lot. They also crawl under your siding where it meets your concrete foundation during the heat. We are coming to the worst time of the year Sept where it will look like a plague. Seriously it was so bad last year. You can get a treatment for the trees but its likely too late as they are beyond the nymph stage. They can spray a knock down chemical on your trees but if your neighbor doesn't then you are fighting a losing battle.

My wife uses BioAdvanced 12 month Tree and Shrub Protect and Feed. She say it will kill the lantirn flies from sucking on the tree. They have a liquid and granules versions. She did her research and found several articles/forums where they recommended this. Our trees made it through the swarm last year that's our litmus test.

Last edited:
Reactions: Decoy205
oh yeah these things aren’t going anywhere they are going everywhere.

I haven’t seen em at work in SOHO yet but people are saying they are all over Manhattan now.

They apparently started in PA and have been working their way up the east coast. Kinda sucks because they are not native.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.