Ladies and gentlemen can I use this for my SWG?

R6bbie

Bronze Supporter
Mar 8, 2022
IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-35
Ladies and gentlemen can I use this for my SWG? I’m still having a problem figuring out this salt that I’m supposed to dump in to the pool for my saltwater generator I’m getting to the point where I have all my levels contained and I’d really like to fire up my machine “SWG “I attached a picture below which I can get from Home Depot, if you have better recommendations I’d surely love to hear it I’m in the Chicagoland area. DuPage county. I’ve also added one more picture the second one seems like it’s got some sort of defense in it, not sure that’s the right one, if you get time please let me know thanks again for your time. Also last question I use the test kit 100 has been working out great thank you guys very much as far as the CYA testing one they say you can’t see the blacked out at all do they really mean you can’t see it one bit or is it just faded, I’ve been having problems with that getting it to be completely gone “the blacked dot“The only time I can get it to be completely gone without any visibility is around 20 ppm. And from what I understand I need to jack it up a bit but I’ve been putting in a Darn load and it’s been over a week, I have plenty of it so if you gentlemen ladies could let me know that would be great again thank you so much for your time. When I get done doing all the stuff I promise I will be becoming a donating member because what you guys of done for me is unbelievable, total respect everybody here thank you so much.

Attachments

• 5AE4EB43-841A-41A0-94E0-EF49FB7446E7.jpeg
    5AE4EB43-841A-41A0-94E0-EF49FB7446E7.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 3FCA9EA8-9598-40C0-9A78-930FD41194D4.jpeg
    3FCA9EA8-9598-40C0-9A78-930FD41194D4.jpeg
    630.9 KB · Views: 99
No. That has an additive for 'Rust Defense'.

Look for plain water softener salt. Might be a blue bag (it is here) or a yellow bag (those sometimes have additives.

Reactions: PoolStored
How much CYA have you added? What you add is in the pool. Be careful.

When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....
I wonder why do you round the value up rather than down? Wouldn't it be safer to error on the low side?

Thank you so much for all of your replies you guys are amazing, I wasn’t really worried as much the cost I like Home Depot because it’s 10 miles closer, I really hate traveling. Where I’m at gas is 4.50 five dollars a gallon and I get 10 miles to the gallon MAX in the truck. Not complaining just stating. I got the CY information but can I use the first bag in the picture? Is it safe again thanks for the reply’s

Also I’ve almost added 4 pounds of the CYA to a pool that’s got 11,000 gallons max, and the best I’m coming up to the 20 line before it’s invisible at my hip I’ve read the directions I believe I’m following them pretty correctly

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The way you taught me how to do it is way better, now I understand how that works and I like the word glance. Thanks again you’re totally awesome for helping me and saving me. What do you think about this salt for a saltwater generator? I had some extra laying around and I just wanted to put a little in to get going because all my other numbers are really good. I’m still a lost puppy though but with all your guys help it’s made a world of a difference.

Attachments

• E6EB37B4-DB18-445B-98FD-D5FDCBC731E6.jpeg
    E6EB37B4-DB18-445B-98FD-D5FDCBC731E6.jpeg
    571 KB · Views: 18
I've been using the Morton Pure & Natural water softner crystals, from Sam's Club, it is the lowest price I can find in the Harrisburg PA area. The only down side of using this salt in place of "pool store" pool salt (@ $35 a bag) is that it takes about 20 minutes of brushing in the shallow area to disolve all the salt and sometimes there are some small rocks/pebles remaining after the salt is disolved.2022-05-19_10-12-32.jpg

Attachments

• 2022-05-19_10-12-32.jpg
    2022-05-19_10-12-32.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: R6bbie
I've been using the Morton Pure & Natural water softner crystals, from Sam's Club, it is the lowest price I can find in the Harrisburg PA area. The only down side of using this salt in place of "pool store" pool salt (@ $35 a bag) is that it takes about 20 minutes of brushing in the shallow area to disolve all the salt and sometimes there are some small rocks/pebles remaining after the salt is disolved.View attachment 412498
OK thank you very much, I have that in my area but I was worried because it’s at four and one, but if it’s safe I could I will use it. Thank you for your time have a great day

Hopefully this is the right stuff it looks exactly what you told me to get. Home Depot delivered the same day within an hour for 9 bucks. Was also wondering if this was the correct muriatic acid to use to wash the SWG before service and it’s other uses. I went with the core 35, need to fix sig.

Attachments

• 8D57D13E-A460-4FC8-AEF7-FD51759FF79E.jpeg
    8D57D13E-A460-4FC8-AEF7-FD51759FF79E.jpeg
    583.9 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Mdragger88
Forgot pic of Acid, this is ok? Thanks

Attachments

• 09A33FAA-D7F4-4E47-A9C8-645C8BFFC9F3.jpeg
    09A33FAA-D7F4-4E47-A9C8-645C8BFFC9F3.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 12
I've been using the Morton Pure & Natural water softner crystals, from Sam's Club, it is the lowest price I can find in the Harrisburg PA area. The only down side of using this salt in place of "pool store" pool salt (@ $35 a bag) is that it takes about 20 minutes of brushing in the shallow area to disolve all the salt and sometimes there are some small rocks/pebles remaining after the salt is disolved.View attachment 412498
At our Sam's they also sell Morton salt labelled as pool Salt. I assume that would be alright to use as well. Under six bucks a bag.

Hopefully this is the right stuff it looks exactly what you told me to get. Home Depot delivered the same day within an hour for 9 bucks. Was also wondering if this was the correct muriatic acid to use to wash the SWG before service and it’s other uses. I went with the core 35, need to fix sig.
That salt is fine- be sure to test your salt level BEFORE adding any.
Then add about 3/4 of what PoolMath calls for & re-test in a day after it’s dissolved & circulated & then add what is necessary to achieve your goal.
Don’t turn on your swg at this time as a slug of highly concentrated salt water will damage your cell. Be sure the salt has circulated for a day before turning on the swg.

That acid is ok but it’s twice as expensive & 1/2 as potent as these 👇Muriatic acid should be used for ph control
31B4074E-5E52-445E-8906-BF53C88163A2.png
You do NOT need to clean your new cell with acid - A new cell should not have any scale buildup anyway.
Hopefully by maintaining Recommended Levels
You will not really ever need to clean your cell with acid. Doing so removes some of the precious coating from the plates which lessens its life span.
If u happen to notice scale build up when inspecting it the first thing to try is using a popsicle stick or credit card to gently remove it. Then figure out why you got scale in the 1st place & correct that chemistry issue.

Reactions: R6bbie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.