Lack of Liquid Chlorine

atripodi24

May 18, 2019
Colts Neck, NJ
We just opened our pool yesterday and have been unable to find liquid chlorine anywhere. No pool stores or hardware stores or even grocery stores have it and I am checking every day online. Being in NJ, who knows how long it will take for things to get back to normal regarding liquid chlorine. Are we doomed all summer if we have to use powder shock? I've only ever used liquid, so I don't want to mess anything up. And to make matters worse, the casing on our filter valve cracked, so my husband put some Flexi Seal and duct tape on it, but while vacuuming, it keeps losing pressure. We know it definitely needs to be replaced, but are hopeful it will hold up until we can. To open, I put in 4 bags of Leslie's Powder Power Plus shock, it does not have any stabilizer in it. We also put 3 pucks in our shark floater. I put it in last night and as of this morning my numbers were:

FC- 8
PH- 7.4
TA- 80
CYA- 20

If we have to continue to keep using the powder stuff, do we still put it in weekly? What if we need to SLAM the pool? I don't think we've reached peak pollen time yet, and with lots of pine trees in our yard, keeping it algae free is a big concern.

We just opened our pool yesterday and have been unable to find liquid chlorine anywhere. No pool stores or hardware stores or even grocery stores have it and I am checking every day online. Being in NJ, who knows how long it will take for things to get back to normal regarding liquid chlorine. Are we doomed all summer if we have to use powder shock? I've only ever used liquid, so I don't want to mess anything up. And to make matters worse, the casing on our filter valve cracked, so my husband put some Flexi Seal and duct tape on it, but while vacuuming, it keeps losing pressure. We know it definitely needs to be replaced, but are hopeful it will hold up until we can. To open, I put in 4 bags of Leslie's Powder Power Plus shock, it does not have any stabilizer in it. We also put 3 pucks in our shark floater. I put it in last night and as of this morning my numbers were:

FC- 8
PH- 7.4
TA- 80
CYA- 20

If we have to continue to keep using the powder stuff, do we still put it in weekly? What if we need to SLAM the pool? I don't think we've reached peak pollen time yet, and with lots of pine trees in our yard, keeping it algae free is a big concern.

I live a bit farther north than you and am facing the same issue. Another member on the board mentioned a store called Ocean State Job Lots, I had never heard of it but they had cases of 12.5% liquid chlorine for $12 (each case is 4 gallons). I had to drive 35 minutes each way to get there but it was worth it, wound up buying 6 cases.

Not sure how close one is to you but definitely worth checking out.

I live a bit farther north than you and am facing the same issue. Another member on the board mentioned a store called Ocean State Job Lots, I had never heard of it but they had cases of 12.5% liquid chlorine for $12 (each case is 4 gallons). I had to drive 35 minutes each way to get there but it was worth it, wound up buying 6 cases.

Not sure how close one is to you but definitely worth checking out.

There used to be an Ocean State Job Lots 10 min from us and that's where we were getting our chlorine for the past 2 years, but they closed that store this past winter and there aren't any other close ones unfortunately.

Might be time to do a Saltwater Generator? In the long run the cost is the same under normal circumstances and it would make even more sense now. I'm in Albany and I can get 5 gallon jugs of 12.5% for $16 or so and I just can't justify spending the money.

Add-On Pools in Middletown has 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon containers of liquid chlorine. you "buy" the container once and just swap them out when you need more. its like $19 for 5 gallons, plus the initial deposit.

Edit: Leslies may sell it as well, I think I remember asking about it a while ago.

Add-On Pools in Middletown has 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon containers of liquid chlorine. you "buy" the container once and just swap them out when you need more. its like $19 for 5 gallons, plus the initial deposit.

Edit: Leslies may sell it as well, I think I remember asking about it a while ago.
That is great! I will definitely reach out to Add-On Pools! Leslie's didn't have any when my husband went this past weekend.

Reactions: TO116
In my area the bleach is cleaned out of the laundry section of stores, but the "pool" chlorine is still plentiful in the stores that carry it (Wal-mart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.). Most people don't know they're the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.