Lack of backwashing

Jun 22, 2013
my pool is only 7000 gallons. I installed a 200lb sand filter with 1 1/2 hp Hayward pump this spring. I vacuum about once a week, sometimes more sometimes less. I always vacuum set on filter, because the amount of time it takes to vacuum I would loose a lot of water, and have no where for it to go.

So after I read this spring to let the filer increase pressure by I think it was 20 or 25% before backwashing... After I replaced my 3/4" eye ball with a 1" eye ball my preasure was 12psi... In almost 3 months it has never increased. My water is perfectly balanced and sparkling clean. I only run the pump 4-5 hours a day.

Is it normal for my pressure to never increase? I realize my pump filter is over sized for this pool and maybe that is part of it? BYW, my gauge is fine, cause I can throttle the return valve and instantly see a change in pressure. Your thoughts?

You are very lucky!! If the pressure does not rise and the water is clear -- you are golden!!

I have a cartridge filter that is way oversized for my pool - I clean the cartridges once per year. I have never seen a pressure rise ---

Take care!

I have an oversized DE filter. I can go an entire year without backwashing it and the pressure will barely go up by 1 to 1.5 psi. I simply tear down my filter twice per year to keep it in proper working order and only keep an eye on the system pressure as an indicator for pump or flow problems.

Should I backwash say monthly just to move the sand around and keep it from clumping or whatever? Or just leave it be.

Backwashing doesn't really move the sand at all. This is why sand filters can develop channeling even if you're diligent about backwashing them. Do you vacuum up large bits of debris like leaves? If so, I would back wash it very briefly maybe once every couple of months just to blow out any big debris that might make it in there. Then just plan to tear it down and deep clean it once per year (typically at the start of the season is a good idea).

If you don't get mountains of debris in the pool and you maintain the chemistry so there's no algae load, it's quite possible that you can get by with an annual backwash/cleaning. And for what it's worth, my filter doesn't even have a waste option, so I vacuum to filter every time. I see nothing wrong at all with your technique.

my pool is only 7000 gallons. I installed a 200lb sand filter with 1 1/2 hp Hayward pump this spring. I vacuum about once a week, sometimes more sometimes less. I always vacuum set on filter, because the amount of time it takes to vacuum I would loose a lot of water, and have no where for it to go.

So after I read this spring to let the filer increase pressure by I think it was 20 or 25% before backwashing... After I replaced my 3/4" eye ball with a 1" eye ball my preasure was 12psi... In almost 3 months it has never increased. My water is perfectly balanced and sparkling clean. I only run the pump 4-5 hours a day.

Is it normal for my pressure to never increase? I realize my pump filter is over sized for this pool and maybe that is part of it? BYW, my gauge is fine, cause I can throttle the return valve and instantly see a change in pressure. Your thoughts?
I have a similar situation. New pool/pool owners this year. Pool has been up all summer, levels are spot on, water is crystal clear and my PSI hasnt moved at all. So fsr its been very easy to maintain! Check chemical levels e/o day, add as needed, keep covered when not in use, vac once a week - GOLDEN! It helps that we have no large trees, etc, near our pool. With the solar heater amd cover, the water gets to 92 degrees too!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only thing I am struggling with this year is getting/keeping temp in the pool. We keep having either.huge amounts of cold rain, 5-6" at a time, or our.nights are getting down to high 50's to low 60's... I only get direct sun about 1/2 -2/3 of the day...

The only thing I am struggling with this year is getting/keeping temp in the pool. We keep having either.huge amounts of cold rain, 5-6" at a time, or our.nights are getting down to high 50's to low 60's... I only get direct sun about 1/2 -2/3 of the day...
Amem to the rain and cold nights. Fortunately we have sun on the pool from 10a-tell sunset, with full sun by 1030 - hence the 92 degree water!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.