LAARS Lite 2 shuts off

Juanandrade

May 30, 2022
California
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a LAARS Lite 2 that will run for a bit then shut down. It’s a LD natural gas electric start. I’ve noticed an intermittent clicking sound coming from the gas valve and the blower/fan running continuously when the heater was on. Since this is the first use in a long time I plan on cleaning out the valve to remove any crud buildup hopefully that takes care of the clicking sound. Is the blower supposed to run continuously while the heater is on. I thought it was a safety to purge any residual gas prior to start up. I’m assuming it’s a sensor gone bad that shuts it down before reaching temp. Where should I star my trouble shooting at?

Attachments

• C7137C69-B6BC-43AD-8037-B90A77BF0070.jpeg
    C7137C69-B6BC-43AD-8037-B90A77BF0070.jpeg
    597.5 KB · Views: 7
  • BFC7ABAE-7F4C-4C58-911E-429FEA0DEF19.jpeg
    BFC7ABAE-7F4C-4C58-911E-429FEA0DEF19.jpeg
    509.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 6D6E1F12-98BA-45C3-8CEA-54348B333BA9.jpeg
    6D6E1F12-98BA-45C3-8CEA-54348B333BA9.jpeg
    498.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 398D1EF8-2F4D-47E1-959D-A0C80555657F.jpeg
    398D1EF8-2F4D-47E1-959D-A0C80555657F.jpeg
    489.9 KB · Views: 8
Your gas valve is corroded and needs to be replaced. That may be why it is not remaining open. Problem is that a corroded valve can get stuck open and you can't turn it off. If you open the gas valve, the next step is to throw it away. There are no user-serviceable parts in a gas valve and they should never be opened.
Blower runs the whole time a heater is firing.

A heater on a commercial property that is used daily will usually last 5 years and need at least one repair in that time. For residential use there is no average. Water chemistry. Frequency of use. Environment. Installed a pool heater a few years ago to replace one that was severely damage/corroded/rusted. This was for a spa only that was kept hot so the heater was in constant use. Noticed that there was no gutter on the roof above the heater and the owner promised that he would install one. Eight months later new heater not working. Open it up and it is destroyed from water, very similar to yours including the electronics. No gutter and a very wet rainy season that year. Heaters are designed to be outdoors, but can't handle that kind of abuse.
Mine is not used very much, but is 18 years old and still running.

Thanks again for the help. I ordered a replacement gas valve. Hopefully that takes care of it. I have heater on and babysitting it. Clicking comes and goes but hasn’t shut off, been running for 20 minutes or so. Once I have the new valve in and shuts off before reaching temp what should the next thing I check?

Thanks again for the help. I ordered a replacement gas valve. Hopefully that takes care of it. I have heater on and babysitting it. Clicking comes and goes but hasn’t shut off, been running for 20 minutes or so. Once I have the new valve in and shuts off before reaching temp what should the next thing I check
A few sets of jumper wires w/ alligator clips are your best friend. Easy to jump 24vac directly to gas valve to bypass the multitude of splices shown in your pics. Obviously, draft fan and pool pump must be running.
After that, drain any drip legs and test gas pressure with manometer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.