Kreepy Krauly not starting

Russmd

May 14, 2013
I've had a Kreepy Krauly for many years and it has served me well. Every year or so I replaced the pleated seal and that was it. Recently, it was just too beat up and ready to be put out to pasture. With such an easy and effortless history, I just purchased the new model of the same device. I have a pebbletec pool and bought the same (new) model with the same pleated seal for multiple surface types. Mine is on a dedicated side vacuum port with a manual regulator to adjust flow between it and the skimmer. Hooked it up, threw it in, balanced the hoses, and now the problem. When it's running, it's fine. I adjusted the vacuum so it's moving at the usual medium clip (like the old one). But when the system turns off at the end of the day and then back on the next day, it just sits there until "nudged" somewhere. Then it goes. It seems like it is sucked down against the pool surface and won't start again until that seal is broken. I've spoken to support several times and tried all sorts of things today. I tried with lower suction, I tried with higher suction, I tried with and without the automatic regulator (my old one did not use the automatic regulator, just tuned with the manual valve). I inspected and flapped the flapper, no debris. I think the problem is that vacuum seal that won't let it restart. Searched all over the web, no hits. Support has no idea but they're sending me a new flapper assembly. Ideas?
Thanks,
Russ

Off and right back on sticks half the time. Stop At the same spot in the pool? No. It covers the pool quite well. I’ve found it stuck to the floor or side where it stopped in many places. Is the skirt so new it doesn’t leak and alllow suction break? Is a different skirt the key?
it seems I’m the king of new and odd problems. BTW Pentair is sending me a new motor flapper-assembly to try.

Last edited:
Ok, working on it again and I actually found a place that when the suction starts, even on low, and the flapper is in that position, it pulls up against the housing and doesn’t move. Takes a nudge to get it going. I guess that is a manufacturing defect, because I’ve been in it very carefully and have absolutely no debris.

Reactions: kimkats
While I'm still waiting for the new part, I've been playing with it some more. As I said, I notice that frequently when It doesn't start up flapping away when the pump turns on, the head is vacuum sucked - strongly - to the floor of the pebbletech pool. It take some pulling to get it to move but once I get it to move the flapper starts. Is that normal that it's so vacuum sucked to the floor at rest? Maybe that's not letting enough water flow in to get the flapper moving. I'm using the stock pleated seal like on my previous units. Should I be using a different seal?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.