Kool deck

klanel

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2021
Athens, GA
My current plans are to have the Kool deck applied to the concrete decking. It has to be done before the concrete sets up and the cost is an additional $3.50 per square foot. I went to a pool where it was done and it looked great the way they textured the concrete and there was a color additive, don't know whether it's part of the Kool deck or if it was in the concrete itself. The concrete contractor said it was 'T5'. In Georgia where we have red clay, it is beneficial in hiding stains. Also the builder claims it will lower the deck temp by 20 degrees in the summer. Anyone here have it, what are your thoughts?

Below is the one I saw with the T5 Kool deck. Ours would be very similiar.
IMG_20200730_150909270_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
During the the middle of summer, while at a friends house, I compared cool decking and regular concrete. You could quickly and easily tell the difference. The cool decking was tolerable to walk on where as the regular concrete was not.

Kool deck is great in a hot, dry climate. Be aware it does not last forever. It does become delaminated and has to be repaired / replaced. It will not handle future concrete cracking.

Hi, no experience with this coating, but when we had our small pool built this year we installed travertine so it would be cooler. I measured the surface temps in full sun at midday using an IR thermometer.

Travertine 110 degrees
Concrete Pavers. 128 degrees
Mixed pebbles. 135 degrees
Sealed Concrete 138 degrees

I was surprised by the large variations in temp. Maybe travertine might be an option?

Thanks for the replies. I am too far in to change the decking option and I don't want to do anything to disrupt the progress after things being at a standstill for so long. The concrete decking with the kool deck is $10.50/sq ft. Just out of curiosity, how much is the travertine installed per sq ft?

We have old original Kool Deck around our pool. Even years later - and after painting it with pool deck paint, it still does a great job of keeping the pool area cool and "walkable" even on hot summer days in NC. To the earlier point, ours is not in perfect shape - but it still works very well and it took two coats of pool deck paint without peeling or further deterioration. So - to the OP, it works, and if our experience is any indication, you will get a long life and a lot of value from it.

We had kool deck when we bought our house, however it was peeling everywhere and looked a mess. Not sure how old it was, but we just resurfaced the entire pool deck. Companies out here (Palm springs) arnt doing kool deck anymore as it doesn't hold up in our climate, but what we resurfaced with also keeps the concrete much cooler than plain concrete. No issues walking barefoot in 120 degree heat.

We have the new version of cool deck, an acrylic lace overlay. When they put it on it looks like drywall texture and then they paint it. We love it. It is definitely cooler than plain concrete. Our patio is plain concrete and when the sun has been hitting it and step on it from the cool deck I definitely know the difference. I also love that it isn’t slippery. We have a tumbled marble around our spa that is HOT and slippery. I am so grateful we didn’t use that as our deck. It would have been an expensive nightmare.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have the new version of cool deck, an acrylic lace overlay. When they put it on it looks like drywall texture and then they paint it. We love it. It is definitely cooler than plain concrete. Our patio is plain concrete and when the sun has been hitting it and step on it from the cool deck I definitely know the difference. I also love that it isn’t slippery. We have a tumbled marble around our spa that is HOT and slippery. I am so grateful we didn’t use that as our deck. It would have been an expensive nightmare.
What I've seen the builder says they sling onto the concrete before it dries out and trowel over it. It leaves a texture that looks really good. He also says that it must be applied when the concrete is done and can't be applied afterwards. At least half of my pool deck will be on fill, so I would suspect more potential for cracking.

If you are getting the name brand, Kool Deck, then yes, it needs to be applied when concrete is wet. Ours is acrylic lace that looks like the brand and keeps the deck cool but is applied differently. Ours was applied after we had water in the pool. But it sounds like the process of troweling over it is very similar.

My current plans are to have the Kool deck applied to the concrete decking. It has to be done before the concrete sets up and the cost is an additional $3.50 per square foot. I went to a pool where it was done and it looked great the way they textured the concrete and there was a color additive, don't know whether it's part of the Kool deck or if it was in the concrete itself. The concrete contractor said it was 'T5'. In Georgia where we have red clay, it is beneficial in hiding stains. Also the builder claims it will lower the deck temp by 20 degrees in the summer. Anyone here have it, what are your thoughts?

Below is the one I saw with the T5 Kool deck. Ours would be very similiar.
View attachment 374277
I know this is an old thread. Just had sherwin williams cool deck acrylic laid this week. Do you mind a few questions? What was your dry time? Any tricks for cleaning or any issues since your install? Salt stains etc?

I know this is an old thread. Just had sherwin williams cool deck acrylic laid this week. Do you mind a few questions? What was your dry time? Any tricks for cleaning or any issues since your install? Salt stains etc?
I just saw this. I will dig up a photo and post later but it was applied by the contractors when the concrete was still wet. If I remember, I could gently walk on it the next day but stayed off it for a few days. Get some leaf and bug stains but for the most part it looks good with no cleaning. Will posts pictures within the next day or so.

Here are a couple of photos. One from Feb 2021 taken during application and another from today. Most stains seem temporary and eventually disappear. I haven’t washed the deck since it was done. The contractor did say that plastic sheeting will discolor the kool deck if left in contact before it cures. I like it but it is hard on my feet with the knockdown finish. Sort of abrasive.

Attachments

• 04C72408-D753-4DEA-850B-A6C046D0759B.jpeg
    04C72408-D753-4DEA-850B-A6C046D0759B.jpeg
    613.8 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    699.5 KB · Views: 39
My concrete guy waited 3 weeks before applying on new concrete. Used a Sherwin Williams product and color.IMG_9674.jpegIMG_7081.jpegIMG_9673.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.