Know any good and active lawn care forums?

#40Fan

Jul 12, 2018
SE, Colorado
Recently sent off a soil sample for my backyard and received the results. Looking for a good forum to do some research and maybe ask a few questions. I have spent the last 30 minutes searching around google, but didn't come up with anything that looked very active.

Better yet, anyone here know their lawn care?

I send test results off as well. This will be my second year doing so and I looked all over for ideas. In the end I went to a couple of landscape companies with my results in hand and a cup of coffee. Thos folks know there stuff, they are local so probably know your soil and if you a veteran they usually give a discount. Do you have a “Site One Landscape” near you? I say this because there products are awesome and cheaper than the big box stores. Another avenue is to check in at a local feed store, this is more of a long shot but those folks usually know folks...

.pdf was too large to attach, so here is a screen shot of the report.

I'll do some looking around on those forums linked. Thanks for those.

I have watched a lot of Lawn Care Nut's videos. He has helped greatly with my front yard. But, the back has been an issue and that is why I sent off the sample.

Recently sent off a soil sample for my backyard and received the results. Looking for a good forum to do some research and maybe ask a few questions. I have spent the last 30 minutes searching around google, but didn't come up with anything that looked very active.

Better yet, anyone here know their lawn care?

get a hold of penn state university agricultural. They r all master gardeners. I send soul samples to them every other year. They r awesome. My grandfather owned a landscaping company his whole life. I know a fair amount about lawn care. I never had a weed. Lol

things I learned from him over the years were, butcthis applies to my area maybe.

No fescus. Only bluegrass with perennial and annual rye.

Water only at 2-3 am. Never in the heat.

Start fertilizng once soil soil temp is 52 degrees. And bomb it ever 6 weeks not 8. If u have no weeds only feed it. If u have weeds pull em and feed. If u have a lot of weeds u messed up and start weed and feeds. Only use weed and feed when grass is wet so it sticks. With a feed only water it in always! Make sure ur feed had 10 percent iron to get that nuclear green look. lol. Ya most places say use iron only once a year. I have used it 8 treatments per year for 12 years. I take no responsibility if ur dog walks on ur grass and falls over. Lol. No seriously. Iron iron iron. It’s amazing what it does. I feed out to first frost. I only bag. I never ever ever ever not bag. Clippings breed trouble. Ya clippInga keep in moisture but it builds thatch. That’s why u are watering. I have zero thatch. Never had to even thatch. Air the yard every other year. Or every year if u can. Biggest thing I learned as a kid was lots of topsoil. Pure topsoil with mushroom mulch. Drudged swamp soil is the best around here. U got to have at least 6 plus inches to get proper growth. It shows. My yard is 12 plus inches of top soil. My neighbors is like 3. We have the same seed. We follow the same program. That I gave him. My grass always looks healthier. It holds moisture better cause I have more topsoil. The mushroom mulch helps hold moisture.

Thats all all I got for u.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
get a hold of penn state university agricultural. They r all master gardeners. I send soul samples to them every other year. They r awesome. My grandfather owned a landscaping company his whole life. I know a fair amount about lawn care. I never had a weed. Lol

things I learned from him over the years were, butcthis applies to my area maybe.

No fescus. Only bluegrass with perennial and annual rye.

Water only at 2-3 am. Never in the heat.

Start fertilizng once soil soil temp is 52 degrees. And bomb it ever 6 weeks not 8. If u have no weeds only feed it. If u have weeds pull em and feed. If u have a lot of weeds u messed up and start weed and feeds. Only use weed and feed when grass is wet so it sticks. With a feed only water it in always! Make sure ur feed had 10 percent iron to get that nuclear green look. lol. Ya most places say use iron only once a year. I have used it 8 treatments per year for 12 years. I take no responsibility if ur dog walks on ur grass and falls over. Lol. No seriously. Iron iron iron. It’s amazing what it does. I feed out to first frost. I only bag. I never ever ever ever not bag. Clippings breed trouble. Ya clippInga keep in moisture but it builds thatch. That’s why u are watering. I have zero thatch. Never had to even thatch. Air the yard every other year. Or every year if u can. Biggest thing I learned as a kid was lots of topsoil. Pure topsoil with mushroom mulch. Drudged swamp soil is the best around here. U got to have at least 6 plus inches to get proper growth. It shows. My yard is 12 plus inches of top soil. My neighbors is like 3. We have the same seed. We follow the same program. That I gave him. My grass always looks healthier. It holds moisture better cause I have more topsoil. The mushroom mulch helps hold moisture.

Thats all all I got for u.

I'm a firm believer in iron as well... GAME CHANGER! I have been on the fence in regards to bagging clippings though. So much conflicting feedback over this and not sure what to think. I also bag in the backyard so I keep the area around the pool clean as possible but maybe I'll start bagging the front again.

Thanks for the insight.

I'm a firm believer in iron as well... GAME CHANGER! I have been on the fence in regards to bagging clippings though. So much conflicting feedback over this and not sure what to think. I also bag in the backyard so I keep the area around the pool clean as possible but maybe I'll start bagging the front again.

Thanks for the insight.

the only thing not bagging does is help hold moisture which also breeds problems. If u remove the clippings u don’t have to worry about problems breeding. U just need to spend more money on water to keep it moist. I’m one of those people who would rather spend money to be safe than sorry so I live with 400-500 dollar water bills in the summer to stay green when it’s hot out.

My my grandfather never bagged. My dad either. Never ever had a fungus or other problem.

My summer is pretty much water water water water. And bombs away every 6 weeks. My neighbor when he lived next door would always text me or I would text him when we needed to bomb and whoever was closer to where we bought our fertilizer grabbed our bags. We went to a local commercial Place who gave us an account.

So what mix do you use? 10-10-10?? When do you add the topsoil spring or fall? What height do you cut the grass at 2”, 3”, 4”?

OP, here. I had a long post written up last night and my internet did something goofy and I lost the post.

I believe that the issue I am having with the yard is from digging it up a couple of years ago to replace the sewer line. All of that junk dirt got left on top. Not having a green thumb, I never gave it a second thought. Just tossed down some seed and watered. It was great last summer and the beginning of spring this year. Then in May it went to heck.

My first thing to tackle will be the pH. Going to use an endless supply of manure from a friend and till it into the ground. Get a good top layer of soil setup. Since I have a 10k gallon reservoir of water that I can adjust the pH to whatever my liking, I'll be using it to water the new grass when I plant this fall. Phosphates will be the next thing to go after and luckily you can get that all by itself. I'll add that on top of the manure when tilling.

So what mix do you use? 10-10-10?? When do you add the topsoil spring or fall? What height do you cut the grass at 2”, 3”, 4”?

cliff I use a 24-3-3. Low last numbers so I don’t run the risk of burning the grass in the heat. It’s high enough for grass around here. I have never teased topsoil. I cut at my lawn mowers highest setting which is 3.5 on my Honda.

Oh oh another thing to prevent disease and weeds. Just like our pools. Maintain hem urself. When u have a company that comes in to cut they don’t clean their machines between cuts so u are getting ever other lawns seeds of weeds and such into urs then. Just like when u take a boat out of the water. Clean it off so u don’t cross contaminate another body of water.

Thanks Jim...I do my on lawn every week and actually enjoy the process. I had been fertilizing every 8 weeks or so but will consider the 6 week schedule. I cut at 3 1/2 whis is considered high for Texas Bermuda grass. I bag the front and all around the pool area but the back 40 I mulch...

Hey cliff. I think Bermuda grass looks so good high. Disney keep theirs high at various resorts and always bought it looked so good. I wish we could grow Bermuda out here. I mean I love my bluegrass but Bermuda just us. Great look to it also.

I had a service for a couple years (TruGreen). Within the first 2 years my lawn was awesome! I cancelled and this year it is total garbage again like literally 50% weeds. Ugghh! I want to go back to them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.