Kiddie pool powered by aquarium equipment

HeavyD_7

May 18, 2019
Huntersville, NC
Hello, first time poster. I wasn’t sure where to post this. I searched a little bit on these forums and I googled it but I didn’t come up with anything so here goes...

I’m not a pool guy but I’ve been an aquarist and worked in the aquarium industry for a while. Our community pool isn’t open yet but the weather is nice, so I went to Target two weeks ago and purchased a Bestway 8’ inflatable pool for our 5 and 3 year olds. I set it up and filled it - with the included “filter” it was cloudy in 3 days. I did some more research and learned that I need to treat it like a real pool/spa or I’ll have to constantly drain and refill it. Cool, I think I can do that. But before I got into it, it really seemed like the non-existent filtration needed to be upgraded so I dug into my stash of already owned aquarium equipment and redneck-style hooked it all up. If I can keep fish and coral alive, surely I can kill algae and bacteria?

Included are -
- Aquatop CF500 canister filter w/9 watt UV sterilizer, 575gph. I’m only running the floss filter pads and a 44oz bag of Chemipure Green
- EcoTech Marine MP40 powerhead for additional water movement, ~4000gph
- JBJ 800watt titanium heater for when it’s a little cooler
- I use an aquarium net to manually scoop out any detritus twice a day

I read through this article, purchased the products, did the startup doses and have been testing twice a day. Chlorine levels around 2-2.5. I have no idea how long it will last, but the water has been nice and warm and crystal clear for 1.5 weeks, with the kids in for at least an hour every day so far.

Any tips? Tricks? Long term thoughts? This will surely only be a seasonal thing, especially once the community pool opens. Any information or help you could provide would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: RMcGirr83
:unsure:“Detritus” in a kiddie pool...lol.

Keep in mind none of those things are rated for human use or for what you’re using them for. A cracked aquarium heater and short could kill a few fish, or your kids.... I’m probably being paranoid but the heater part worries me.

Reactions: jblizzle
September update - we made it through the entire summer! Other than the pool developing a little bit of a gangster lean because of a lot of use and my un-level patio, this was a pretty easy project. With cousins and friends, we used this a lot more than I originally thought. It was also easy to get home from work and let the kids throw on their swimsuits and play while we got dinner ready.

The water stayed clear all summer even with some large rains. I kept on my dosing schedule and changed the filter pads twice ($5/change) and I have plenty of stuff left over for next year. The only little issue I had was keeping the ph up - possibly due to the media I had inside the canister? I’m not sure, but it didn’t seem to hurt anything.

All equipment was plugged into a multi outlet strip and outdoor GFCI receptacle. The heater is titanium with a special covering over the heating element so you can’t touch the element. It’s also unlike cheap glass aquarium heaters in it can’t shatter or break.

All in all, considering the low cost of the pool and already having the other equipment, I’ll deem it a success. Now what to do for next year? ??‍♂️

DB4D556C-1FE1-4D9C-A120-B951EA10A9FE.jpeg

A0D91968-E273-4051-A369-2E78AE9E2449.jpeg

Reactions: manfacro
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.