Key things to look for in a Good Vacuum Head?

May 19, 2015
Burbank, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So many different vacuum heads on the market.

The Vacuum head I have now is super light, But I did only pay 12 bucks for it.

I know weight is a big factor ... now. But I've seen vacuum heads that are square looking and some that are thin but wide. I've also seen vacuum heads that have brushes on the sides of them. Any thoughts on that?

Any opinions on the matter? Any recommendations and why.

Get one designed for your type of pool surface. Ones with wheels on them are for plaster and ones without wheels and only brushes are for vinyl and hard to use on plaster.

Triangle shape ones are good if you have tight corners. If you dont have tight corners, then a square shape one should do fine.

The biggest thing that will make your vacuuming more successful is the hose you use. Get a good quality one with a swivel cuff. The swivel cuff will help with the hose not getting coiled up on you. Also if the hose is way too long for your pool it will be come cumersome and if too short, then a pain to use efficiently.

thats about all of the advice that I can give you about manual vacuuming except to say to teach all of your family members to use it too. Its can get to be tiresome when its 100F in the middle of summer.

Doesn't seem so, but it does seem like Kim is trying to help you out here as she always does with hundreds and hundreds of people each season.

Sorry if it wasn't enough, or up to your standards.

Forgive me for trying to get input from others before taking the advice from the first person that makes a comment on my thread. My comment was more of a BUMP than anything else.

How you concluded my comment was in anyway a sign of disrespect is beyond me, and ill chalk it up to a misunderstanding. I was merely trying to get more input. If 20 people recommend the same type of product, than I'll know what to look for.

Get one designed for your type of pool surface. Ones with wheels on them are for plaster and ones without wheels and only brushes are for vinyl and hard to use on plaster.

Triangle shape ones are good if you have tight corners. If you dont have tight corners, then a square shape one should do fine.

The biggest thing that will make your vacuuming more successful is the hose you use. Get a good quality one with a swivel cuff. The swivel cuff will help with the hose not getting coiled up on you. Also if the hose is way too long for your pool it will be come cumersome and if too short, then a pain to use efficiently.

thats about all of the advice that I can give you about manual vacuuming except to say to teach all of your family members to use it too. Its can get to be tiresome when its 100F in the middle of summer.

Ok, cool. kadavis recommendation is what I currently have, but I have a difficult time keeping it down in the pool.
I'll probably just weight it to get an idea of how light it is. And get something double or triple the weight.

I have the butterfly one that Kim posted and I am returning it. It was cheap from lowes but it will not stay flat. I have to vacuum inside the pool kind of holding on to hose in order to keep it laying on the floor. From the outside it looked and felt like it was ok but when my kids checked (with googles) underwater it was in fact lifting up when pushing forward off the ground and sometimes completely floating when pulling backwards. I am trying to vacuum an above ground with a 54" wall so it already is difficult enough let alone trying to keep the thing flat. At the store they had the triangle version that seemed heavier (even though they are both weighted) so I am going to try that.

Having hated vacuuming my pool for many many years, I decided this year I would up my game a bit. I searched youtube and watched what pool route folks were using in their "demo" videos for us DIY'er types.

I decided to take the plunge and give the Pentair pro vac a try.
Vacuum Pro Series.jpg

I love it! I no longer have to sneak up on the dirt, I don't have those dang bristles in the way and the suction power is awesome.

Cleans my pool in 1 pass and I would highly recommend it to anyone who like me has struggled with various types of vacuum heads.

Good luck,

*on Amazon, there are 32 reviews with 75% being 5 stars. I have not voted yet.. but I would give it 5 stars as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yea, funintheun & Davis. Those both look like awesome options.

I watched a review on the pentair. Looks awesome. Deffffffffffffffff way better than my piece of junk vacuum head.

Looks like it went down a few bucks since you bought it at the end of April. But I think i'm going to just take the plunge and invest in something better and use my other one as back up.

I wonder, is there a way to just buy those weights that go on top of the vacuum head? I think that might solve my problem short term depending on the price. (If it's possible to get them)

I received that cheap triangle one from my PB and tossed it in the garbage after one use and bought the Pentair one that funandsun posted and it's a breeze and makes vacuuming so much easier and faster. I only used it in the spring as the robot has taken over but come fall I'll be glad that I have my Pentair.

Salty

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.