Keeping the pool shell clean while under construction

klanel

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2021
Athens, GA
Do any of you with pools under construction take it upon yourself to keep it clean and dry? I don't want my pool shell sitting with a bunch of muck in in from the algae and dead centipedes so after every rain, I siphon it out, blow the bottom out and sweep up the debris. Fortunately for me with the drop in terrain below the pool, I can siphon and not have to use a pump.

IMG_20210901_200131481.jpg

Your pool finish clean up crew will love you.

For my build when my quartz was scheduled for application, 2 - 3 days before, a 2 man crew showed up to clean, drain out the water and scrape the gunite prior. When they were done it looked like your does now.

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
I did the same during my pool construction. Pump the water out whenever I can, and shopvac the dirt out.
I kept my pool shell so clean that the pool builder thought they already send the pre-plaster cleaning crew in.
I had to call, and schedule that in.
Just keep the eye out for pre-plaster crew (scraping loose concrete, and some acid wash) before plaster goes in.

Oh, you wait. The tile guys will make a bigger mess. : )
The tile has been done already. After the retaining walls/basement wall is poured they will do the flagstone coping and on the spa.
.. “Your” pool shell is the trash can for all the trades.
So is my yard with trash, nails, etc. And today I had to scrub down my porch, walkway and steps to the house where they got under cover from the rain with their muddy boots. But at least they came!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My tidy pool shell got wasted yesterday by the workers throwing in scrap rebar and walking around in there with their muddy feet. Then the rain came and this is the result.
View attachment 373455
You’re just gonna need to close the curtains/blinds & not go out there or it will drive u bonkers! I know it would me! Repeat after me — “I will not go in the backyard, I will not go in the backyard”.
Save yourself & have coffee ☕️ on the front porch & daydream about your pool from there. 🤣

You’re just gonna need to close the curtains/blinds & not go out there or it will drive u bonkers! I know it would me! Repeat after me — “I will not go in the backyard, I will not go in the backyard”.
Save yourself & have coffee ☕️ on the front porch & daydream about your pool from there. 🤣
You are right and it's not my responsibility but it does bother me. If I had let it fill up this summer, I bet it would have been full of mosquitoes. And then the centipedes, it's incredible how many of those get in there and can't crawl back up across the slick tile.

Reactions: Mdragger88
We have a couple of dozen frogs living in our pool at the moment. A crew came today to deliver the deck stone plus sand and cement. My driveway is caked in red Georgia clay. I hope the cleanup crew gives that the once over too!

I tried to do the same and keep it clean but the contractors would not cooperate so I just gave up. And yes, the tile guy was the worst and caused a lot of work for the plaster folks!

The only problems I had with the tile guys were dropping thinset on the shell that will have to be removed. Had to have a tire replaced due to a nail and recently I found several in our gravel parking area. It was the ones they used to put up leveling boards for the tile. Now I know where it came from.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.