Keeping Heat In

This is a cut and paste from: http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/En/consumer/solar_hot_water/pools/q_and_a/index.htm#Cover

Q: What about pool covers?

The greatest loss of heat from a pool occurs from its surface because of evaporation. By reducing this evaporation loss, pool covers are very effective in lengthening the swimming season. They also keep the pool clean, thereby lowering the cost of chemicals and filter maintenance. Depending on materials and the number of hours of use, temperature increases of 5°F to 10°F may be expected from a pool cover. A 5°F increase is reasonable when the cover is used 12 hours a day; 10°F when it is used 20 hours a day.

Transparent or lightly translucent covers work best because they allow solar energy to pass through and be absorbed by the pool water, and they also prevent heat loss at night. Opaque covers are best used in Florida at night to prevent heat loss. A roller is a good investment to help you move the cover on and off the pool. Motorized rollers are also available.

Pool covers will last from three to five years, depending on care in handling and storage. Nevertheless, they are your best buy for an extended swimming season. From the standpoint of energy conservation, a pool cover should be used.

After a full day of clear sun, all covers off during the day, and a high of 82 deg (with little or no wind), our pool hit a record high of 84 deg throughout. It was great swimming. I have all the covers back on plus the 2" foam board on top of all the covers. Low tonight is supposed to be in the mid 50's. I'll post the water temp in the morning.

- - - Updated - - -

No, its actually stretch wrap for wrapping pallets and boxes for shipping.http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...wrappers-Cast-Black-Opaque-80-gauge-20-x-1000 is just one place to order it.

Not sure how that would help insulate the sides unless you mean to put it around the bubble wrap to protect the bubble wrap from UV rays??? That would probably be a good way to anchor the bubble wrap to the pool sides. l like that idea. Is that what you mean?

Can you please post some pics of your foam installed on the pool, etc?

I'll do it tomorrow at some point and try posting them. Basically it is just 2" foam board cut in 24" x 96" sections laid in the middle of the pool. Then to finish off the curvature of the pool, 4 half moon shapes along the sides. Fits together nicely. A person wouldn't have to cut the pieces to 24". They could just use the full 4' x 8' sheet. I had scrap pieces laying around already cut so I just used what I had.

Scrap that...I thought it was dark outside...here is a picture of the 2" foam board on top. Below the foam board is the intex cover. Below the intex cover is solar cover which is resting on the water. You'll also notices black sheeting at the bottom of the picture attached to the pool. It is 3mil black sheeting. We were hoping it would help radiate heat from the sun to the sides of the pool and into the water. It does seem a bit warmer to the touch inside the pool but not sure how much it really helps. I'd say very, very little.

0802142016a[1].jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.