Keeping a higher FC ok?

Fire

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2019
Toronto Ontario
Is there any problems with keeping my FC around 10-12ppm with a CYA of 80 instead of the recommended 6ppm with a SWCG?

I ask this because I'm afraid of my FC getting to low and the recommended range is 9-11ppm with Non SWCG, so I assume the higher levels would be ok even with the SWCG.
Thoughts?

Unless you are using a SOLAR Cover, there is no need to keep the levels high. The key to everything is making sure that you brush the walls on a regular basis. A lot has to do with your pool, how many skimmers, main drains, returns and where they are located. I have seen old pools with one skimmer and one return (broken main drain) require daily brushing or algae will be present, given the lack of circulation.

Bring your levels down to normal, brush often, test often, and then see what works for your pool. High chlorine levels mean nothing if you still have dead spots from circulation issues, and only brushing will remedy this problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fire
Fire,

I personally try to keep my FC at the target or slightly higher.. This allows me to test less often, and if I do drift a little low, I am still nowhere near my minimum...

I have three saltwater pools and other than when the plaster was new have never brushed anything but the steps... I do, however, have robots that "brush" for me.. :mrgreen:

I guess my point is, running your FC a little on the high side is never an issue and won't hurt anything..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: wireform
As stated above, running at the high end of the recommended levels is fine. It gives you more room for error or unexpected events.

But you may not want to go too high. My understanding is that FC loss is a percentage of a total and not an absolute amount like 2-3 ppm per day.

For example:
- At 6 ppm FC, you may lose 20% per day based on your conditions. Therefore your lose 1.2 ppm FC per day.
- At 11 ppm FC, if you lose 20% per day, then you lose 2.2 ppm FC per day.

So, at the higher FC levels, you lose more and have to maintain that chlorine. In the above example, you would need to use about twice the amount of chlorine or run your SWG twice as much (or higher percentatge) to maintain the FC. So this will cost extra money in chlorine or faster wearing out of the SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.