Overland Park, KS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
The “Pool & Spa Water Chemistry” booklet that comes with the Taylor K-2000 series test kits discuss the CYA correction factor for TA, and the same is referenced on their Technical FAQs.

“Cyanuric acid (CYA) titrates as total alkalinity when CYA is greater than 30 ppm. Adjust for this by subtracting 1/3 of your CYA reading from your total alkalinity reading to get the correct alkalinity value.”​
My TA reads 90 before the correction, with a CYA 50 correction factor, my actual TA is 73.​
The TFPC extended test kit directions for TA does not reference the CYA correction.

Considering the CYA levels that are recommended for SWG this could make a significant difference in TA results and saturation indexes. Which is part of my concern, as of right now my water is leaning fairly negative as I have a fairly low CH of 110.

I’m curious if others use the correction factor when performing TA tests.

Update - I just noticed posts in other threads saying that pool math makes corrections, and some references to CYA correction factors based on pH.

Last edited:
That is correct. PoolMath makes any necessary corrections.

Don’t try and mix other methods with TFP methods and tools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.