Just starting - Need guidance

Oh, I see. So using the PoolMath tool and given the correct levels are input, the Suggested FC Levels calls out Shock levels and as long as I'm below that I'm ok, right? So the range it says for my readings was 3-7 but I can go higher as suggested earlier in the post. Am I getting this right?

Thanks, I'm slowly getting it...

That's correct. The reason there is a range is due to a sort of "efficiency." In a clean pool, the loss of FC every day due to sunlight is going to be a percentage. So, the higher the starting FC, the higher the loss.

Anything up to SLAM is safe, but you wouldn't use it for maintenance because you would be wasting it to sunlight (and in a clean pool anything between the top of the range and SLAM is just overkill and unnecessary).

The TFPC ranges try to find a sweet spot: enough FC to keep the pool clean but not so much that you're burning off excess to the sun.

Here is a quick reference guide that is useful. (just in case you havent found it already).
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Oh, I see. So using the PoolMath tool and given the correct levels are input, the Suggested FC Levels calls out Shock levels and as long as I'm below that I'm ok, right? So the range it says for my readings was 3-7 but I can go higher as suggested earlier in the post. Am I getting this right?

Thanks, I'm slowly getting it...

That's a good reference. I hadn't found that one yet. Is it only the direct sunlight that burns up FC? Around 4:30 or 5 is when our pool begins to get shaded by the house and fully shaded within 30-45 min. That's when I'm adding my Cl. I don't want to add it too early but it seems like it should be good by then.

Btw, any ideas on why the pH is creeping up as quickly as it does?

- - - Updated - - -

Another question... How long should I be running my pump every night? It was set to 3 or 4 hours starting around 8:30pm when I moved in and I haven't changed it since then (January).

I just saw this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time

So, I think I'm good for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.