Just started with an Intex Oval pool - never had a pool.

MishGarry415

Jul 13, 2020
MA
So im really sorry I have searched around here a bit and am not sure where exactly to look. We just set up a new 16x10x42" Oval Bestway pool. We added 1/2 a gallon of chlorine and some algecide and ran the filter (its a 1000gph krystal clear one with the paper filters). THAT IS IT. Pool is getting lots of debris and thousands of beetles. I did get a net to get the critters. Does anyone know what kind of vacuum i should for that type of pool? should i get a skimmer? How should i start with testing? Literally know nothing about pools. I really appreciate any info on where to read about all this. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
From my calculations, your pool volume is about 4000 gallons. So, you have a choice to make. You treat the pool as a Seasonal Pool, and follow the link below. Or you get a full fledged test kit and follow the TFP methods for a permanent pool.
Take a look at Seasonal Pools and let us know which way you want to go.

Reactions: Msch99
OK -- well, read the link I posted above. Follow the instructions in it. Realize that if the water turns cloudy, etc you will have to drain, clean, and refill.

Reactions: MishGarry415
Yes, the Watertech Pool and Leaf Vac. It's battery operated and comes with batteries. Mine lasted 6 weeks before I had to replace them! Home Depot has them for $110, but it's worth every penny. My pool has never been cleaner! And it's so easy to use, no hoses, no cords, no hoping you have enough oomph in your water hose. I highly recommend it!

Nancy, it picks up everything from dirt to the baby acorns from my oak tree. It picked up a 4" stick the first time I used it! Most of my bugs float, so the skimmer gets them, but it's picked up a waterlogged carpenter bee or several. You can also lock the handle and use it to skim if you so desire. You can also get a micromesh bag to get stuff like dead algae and such, but I find the bag it comes with to be fine for me.

• Love
Reactions: southernblessings
Thank you guys so much, I will probably buy that Vacuum. I dont know if my filter should be doing a better job? I know its only the paper ones but i did upgrade to a 1000gph one vs the one that came with it. There are tons of beetles (expected)that im skimming off, but lots of tiny bugs and debris as well as sand/dirt on the bottom.

So i got the water today and this is what i got:

FC - 0.22
TC - 0.22
Combined Chlorine - 0ppm
PH 7.4
Alkalinity -40ppm

cya 41 ppm
phosphate -902ppb

Should i just add baking sodium and liquid chlorine? Together?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks I did read that. My pool is closer to 4000 gallons is that still ok? are the test strips not good enough? This time i just brought the water to the pool place because i didnt have my own testing stuff yet. My PH and cya looks good, I just didnt know if i should do baking soda for the alkalinity. I have the chlorine to add as well.

If you wish to run the pool as 'permanent', then you need a full test kit. I suggest the TF100. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

Strips are as good as you taking a mouthful of pool water and swishing it around and guessing. Pool stores are not much better.

Wow thats crazy. I thought the pool store would be accurate. They ran it through some machine and gave me a printout. Ill get a kit later today.
I was going to run it as seasonal if thats easier. Will probably only be up for 2 months from now, if that.

The 5 way (really 3) is fine. You measure TC (total chlorine - assume that is FC), pH, and TA. pH is only good with TC (FC) of 5 ppm or less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.