Just SLAM'd & Opened. Pressure rising & can't seem to backwash enough =(

Jul 16, 2018
Vacaville
Hey everyone. I've been benefiting hugely from your posts and advice over the past couple years, ever since we bought a Costco above ground. THANK YOU so much! You have given my kids bright and fun Summers, and saved my afternoon sanity =) I was a Leslie's slave for awhile, wasted a bunch of money and time, and was growing frustrated. Thank you thank you thank you for keeping this community going. I'm sure it's helping more people than you know!

Ours is a cheapo Bestway 3,500 gal with a sand filter. I use 10% liquid chlorine and a nice Taylor chem kit (T-2006?) but now I'm stuck and can't seem to find good historical info to help.

My problem: The pressure in my filter rises from 5 psi to 7 within a day after backwashing. Bestway says keep under 6.5 psi. Then after I use the backwash and rinse cycles, immediately upon setting the filter to normal, it blows a big plume of dirt into the pool! No matter how long I backwash and rinse, it does the same thing and it's infuriating.

Background: When I closed last winter, I disconnected the filter, emptied the sand, dried it out and stored everything in my shed. Opened here in Cali just a couple weeks ago, and reinstalled everything with fresh #20 sand. Went through the SLAM process, OCLT was good, water was super clear. CYA around 30, pH 7.4. Had FC around 15 during slam, but now keep it at 7. I vacuumed to waste a couple times a day during SLAM, and once every other day now.

The kids have been swimming.........but I just don't know what to do about the pressure rise and the dirt plume. Help me?

I am not an expert on sand filters. Sounds like maybe a compromised lateral but that normally lets sand through.

We will let some other forum members add their thoughts.

It's definitely a cheapo. I did a pretty careful disassembly and inspection before loading the sand, a couple weeks ago. Everything seems to be in good order. O-rings are clean and smooth. Fresh sand, etc.

Is there a particular part that could have gone bad, that would cause the backwash not to be effective?

I will try doubling the backwash and rinse times, as you suggested. Thank you.

When I blew back dirt after backwashing, it was ALWAYS inadequate rinse time.

Backwash until the sight glass is generally free of dirt and debris. Rinse for at LEAST 1 minute and perhaps 3-4 will be needed to resettle the sand bed. Sand filters are typically priced by their size, not missing features, so your filter should be capable of performing as you would expect.

Is it easy for you to tell us what the HP rating is on the pump and what the GPM rating is on your filter? Is your water currently very clear?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.