New Pool Build in SoCal

erikpiazza

Oct 13, 2020
Fullerton, CA
Hi all,

After much deliberation and scouring these forums as well as others, we just signed with a PB for our pool. I've dreamed of doing this ever since we bought our 1960 ranch home in Fullerton, CA 12 years ago. Honestly, I never thought it would happen so I'm very excited. A little about the build:
  • 32 x 15 freeform (kidney bean) pool
  • 7' circular spa with 160 degree infinity edge spill-over
  • Large baja shelf with LED bubblers
  • Pebblesheen
  • Jandy DEV 60 Pro Series filter
  • Jandy 2.7hp varialbe speed pump
  • Jandy JXi 400k btu heater
  • Fusion Soft dual mineral and SWG
  • iAquaLink automation control
Any advice on these specs are certainly welcome. Of course, there will also be decking, turf, a new patio, fire pit and BBQ, etc but I will be building some of that stuff myself. Looks like by the time engineering and permits are done, we're looking at mid-December so my guess is the dig won't start until after the new year. Probably best for it not to be in 2020 anyway!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Sounds exciting!
Be ware that Jandy does not assist owners in DIY maintenance and repair of their equipment. They will respond that you need to contact a Jandy repair rep. So if you like to maintain/repair things yourself, you might consider a different equipment manufacturer.
The Fusion Soft is a good SWCG. Just be sure to NOT install the mineral cartridge.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: kevinskii
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Congrats on the new project.

The Fusion Soft is a good SWCG. Just be sure to NOT install the mineral cartridge.

Thanks for your input! I discussed the DIY side of things with my PB and I feel ok with Jandy. I'll do basic maintenance, but I have no intention of doing any significant repairs. Can you elaborate on not using the mineral cartridge for the Fusion Soft? I know the metals can cause issues, but this was highly recommended by the PB so I'm wondering if it's a matter of maintaining proper levels or if it's just a no-go altogether.

Mineral packs are never good - copper. Once copper is in, you're stuck and the consequences when copper levels get too high can be a real pain. PBs often include products in their packages based on relationships they have with distributors and not always with the customer's best interest at heart. So just make sure to remove the mineral pack and you should be fine.

UPDATE: It has now been 21 weeks since we signed the contract with our PB and still no dig date set. The permits were issued 3 weeks ago and the contract says the dig would start "approximately 7 days after permits are issued" so I'm pretty frustrated. I can see already that this PB is going to fail to meet every time guideline they stated when making the sale. We were specifically told by the sales guy, "you'll be swimming by April." I think we'll be lucky to have them even start work by April. I'll refrain from saying who the PB is for now in case they redeem themselves once the work starts, but I think it's getting time to look at the contract and figure out if I can take the plans and permits and move on to another builder. Ugh.

I had the same issue when I signed my contract in September 2020. I had to walk away after waiting over four months with no dig date. Thankfully, we found another PB that has been great thus far.

I'm happy to report that our pool build is FINALLY underway. Just shy of 7 weeks after the permits were issued, the dig was done. They banged it out in just 2 days and I'm pretty happy with what I see so far. Of course, now that the excavation contractor is done, we're just waiting again for the next crew to start. The construction manager said it would be a week to a week and a half. We'll see.

pool_01.jpeg

A week and a half later, no more progress. No contact from the PB. I called, texted and emailed the construction manager to ask some questions about the debris they left piled in my front yard blocking access to my electric and gas meters and moving the porta potty that was blocking my garage, but he has not responded. I've also discovered that they completely destroyed my entire irrigation system, despite only 2 circuits having previously been running in the area of the pool. They also destroyed the drain lines that carry runoff from the retained slope in my back yard out to the street and the contract says they do not do any drainage work at all (but I didn't realize they would just destroy stuff that was already there). All we have is a hole in the ground and I'm regretting the choice of pool builder already.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You definitely get hit with surprises when the excavation is done. Who knew that drain line went right through the middle of the pool! I did a lot of my own digging and rerouting of drainage after excavation. I expected it to a point, as I knew with the pool and decking, I would be adding several drains.

After waiting for what felt like forever for our pool dig to start, it's now been 3 weeks since the dig and no sign of anyone coming to the next step. I knew to expect a week here and there between subs, but at what point do I start complaining to my PB about the delays? They said it would be 6-8 weeks from contract to permits - it was 18 weeks. They said it would be 5-7 business days from permits to dig - it was 7 weeks. On the first day of the 2-day dig, they said it would be "a week or so" after excavation before the plumber came. Like I said, that was 3 weeks ago. I know everyone is extra busy these days and I don't want to be a nuisance client since I know that's likely to just get me pushed farther down the list, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

A friend is going through the same with his pool. He is doing it without a pool company (Owner Builder), so we know first hand the trades involved are very busy. It took him about three months for the county of San Diego to issue his permit. The excavator was booked for two months but appears the plumber and steel are not as busy. But still a week or two wait. I don't think it is too much to ask the builder for an updated timeline. Is there any time frame in your contract? As an alternative see if there are pool plumbing companies in your area. Give them a call and ask about wait times and see what they say. At least if they say they are booked for a month, it should give you piece of mind. Some builders do there own plumbing, my experience in my area is most sub it out to one of two companies. Demand is outpacing the industry. I have a neighbor start a pool in November. He still needs decking and plaster. In fairness, I do not know if the neighbor is due to the industry or if the neighbor is slowing things up. For instance he needed to install a fence.

The contract does show time estimates, but in the fine print it also says that they cannot be held to any of those dates so they're totally pointless. I know our PB is subbing it out (they sub everything, it seems) and they already told me that the plumber is extremely backed up. It's just so frustrating that they would do the excavation knowing it could be a month or more before they get around to the next step. Meanwhile, my property is a disaster, I have to hand-water my entire front and back landscaping because PB destroyed the irrigation system, and my slope/retaining wall are jeopardized by the massive, unsupported hole in the ground that's literally 1 foot away from the retaining wall footing.

At least we should not get any real heavy rains. Right now it seams hard to schedule one sub right after another. They are all so busy they schedule it when they can. If the pool company waits to try and line everything up together, they would probably be out $$$$. The neighbors had a hole for several months without issue. Although there was no retaining wall near by.

Pools were all running behind in 2020. Delays in 2021 are even worse and for a lot of different reasons.

My pool has essentially been touched very little in almost 8 weeks. When I signed they originally said 12 weeks from dig to finish. When I got my HOA approval Jan 3 they updated that to 16 weeks from the date ofdig and the dig was scheduled four weeks out for beginning or Feb.

They dug and then the Texas winter storm happened, but they still got plumbing, rebar, and gunite done by end of Feb. They have done some of the remaining plumbing and some of the electrical since then but it has essentially barely been touched since the end of Feb.

My hold up has been tile and coping that they originally said would be 10 weeks. Fortunately it is only going to be 8. Tile and coping is slated for next week. They should be able to quickly get the rest done and hopefully will be finished by the revised estimated date of Memorial Day. Gives me two weeks to do my landscaping(doing it myself) before all my furniture arrives.

Last edited:
Reactions: erikpiazza
We're now a couple of days shy of 4 weeks since anyone has shown up on our site. We were told - after my badgering - that the plumber would be on site yesterday, but nope. When asked, they gave me the exact same answer as the last time verbatim: "I'm meeting with the plumber tomorrow and will let you know when we have a date." Last time they said that they never got back to me. Since this is going so poorly, I'm no longer shy about revealing that it's Swan Pools (Orange County, CA). They've been in business for 50+ years and claim to have built over 70,000 pools. I'm going to continue to update this thread so that I can post the most detailed possible review of this experience on Yelp when this is all over.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.