Just received confirmation of Simpool PH order

system has now been running for about 24 hours, appears to maintain fairly steady PH.

as a test to see how it adapts, I dumped half a box of borate (still slowly adding borate..) and PH rose close to 8.0

the Simpool PH came on and has been injecting slowly small amounts of Muriatic Acid into the line, PH was down to 7.4 this morning. I had dialed it to 7.3 on the controller.

one question I had was, how do I control the airlock/vacuum that is created by the peristaltic pump? I drilled a small hole through the cap of a Home Depot 20% Baume MA 1 gallon bottle and I can visually see the sides of the bottle are buckling inward as the pump keeps suctioning MA in small amounts. it's no problem releasing the pressure manually but I do need to create a small pinhole into the cap to allow pressure to equalize. the pinhole would allow some vapour also to escape. what's the best way to handle this?

Glad the pump seems to be working out :goodjob: As for the vaccum, just unscrew the cap slightly so that a wee bit of air can enter the bottle. And make sure the is not liquid chlorine stored nearby or that the bottle does not spill on concrete/stone surface. I think you should be all set.

Our European 25 litre (5 gallon) containers of hydrochloric acid must have a vented cap but smaller quatities 5 litres (1 gallon) don't. I wonder if that is the same in the US, if so buy the bigger one and the problem is solved.

The vented cap scares me a bit as am afraid the outgassing vapour would/could somehow impact the equipment in the vicinity of the feeder container. Even in EU, the use of vented cap surely would present a challenge unless the cap is somehow preventing outgassing and only equalizes pressure when suctioned liquid volume is displaced by air.

I think you are right to be concerned but the amount of outgassing is very small with nothing to react with. The containers are all shipped with these caps without issue and no liquid spillage. I drill a hole in the cap fit a grommet and pass the tube through. You are really supposed to use bunded tanks for chemical storage, I just stand mine inside a dustbin (trash bin).

Since the acid vapor tends to be heavier than air, the tiny amount of outgassing thru a pinhole would probably only impact things directly under/around it, rather than the pool equipment. As it will dissipate rapidly, I can't imagine it being much of a problem. If you begin to see deterioration to the concrete under the acid bottle, you can address it then, but I doubt it will be an issue for you.

just an interval update, Simpool PH appears to be maintaining a very steady 7.4-7.5 pH and I've calibrated the sensor for a 2nd time with the buffering solution to 7.3

very happy with it's performance so far.

it's acid test (pun intended---) will be when temps warm up a bit and I actually turn on the IntelliChlor with the inevitable rise in pH

Back in the *moonshine days, folks would just make a second hole for a vent, and insert a short tube with a full circular loop in it. When there is a small amount of liquid in the loop, it works like a trap.

*Not MY moonshine days. I was most likely never actually involved in any moonshining activities.

> a small amount of liquid in the loop, it works like a trap.

I know how to make the loop but can't see how this would relieve the pressure from the suction imploding the MA container, especially if the cap is on tight and no replacement air is allowed for the displaced liquid volume.

Have just cranked open the cap as suggested earlier and that appears to keep a normal shape on the bottle. Still working down the volume on MA bottle number 1 purchased from Home Depot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've had one for about 6 months now and it works great. I don't leave the acid in the pump room though as in previous pools I noticed corrosion on metal objects just from being in the same room as a semi open acid container.

mine is working great, have just swapped out my 3rd muriatic acid (1 gallon bottles from home depot) and the pump happily measures and injects small dosage at a time.

no issues with the vented gas as all my equipment is on a dedicated pad, out of direct sunshine and near the pump/bottle there are no metal objects and the feeding tube is long enough so as to allow placement of the MA bottle about 1 meter away from the electronics.

pH is an incredibly stable 7.4 every time I test and just for kicks took a sample couple times to pool store and they verified (did not tell them my results) the same numbers.

I've sent folks to the same company (aqua.it) as it was very quick to get a shipment and very easy to deal with them. If they reply in italian :) simply use translate.google.com and return the email.

how does the simpool (or any similar device..) handle the situation where the MA container is empty and the pump is unable to get any fluid into the pipe? does it try and try or does it sense the fluid is dry?

hasn't occurred but could happen in case the MA container is not checked regularly.

It just keeps running trying to lower the pH. Some high end pumps have loss of flow sensing but those bottom end pumps don't. So it just runs till you go out there and find it empty. Same thing would happen if the discharge tubing burst. It would keep the pump running trying to lower the pH but since no acid would be getting to the pool water it'd just keep pumping.

am looking for a level control switch.

anyone with a recommendation on this device/what brand/type?

purpose of switch is to control situation where MA tank is empty the switch is putting on hold the pump until tank is refilled.

susa said:
am looking for a level control switch.

anyone with a recommendation on this device/what brand/type?

purpose of switch is to control situation where MA tank is empty the switch is putting on hold the pump until tank is refilled.

What's the worry of that happening? However, you could look into wiring a pressure switch between two plates underneath the tank - wire that to a relay to disconnect power. You'd have to find a sensor with a pretty specific range and accuracy...

Search for a miniature float switch. Madisonco sells one that would work. A bilge pump might work but I'm not sure how well it would stand up in acid. You will have to have a interposing relay to keep from burning up the switch.

I started from the company website (aqua.it) and sent email. They replied with pricelist for the items I asked about. Send email to export dot comm at email dot it (remove spaces and convert dot to dot and at to @). Ask about Technopool Series as that is what I will install next when it's time to replace the Simpool pH.

Use google translator if they reply in italian =)

does the peristaltic pump flex tube (in picture with arrows..) need a regularly applied lubricant to allow for the tube to remain soft & pliable? what's good to use?

I've noticed that with direct sunlight and temps above 20 C, the tube is slowly turning brown, from an initial white color.

2dqlpjr.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.