Just Purchased an Intex Sand Filter...how to vacuum...

Jun 8, 2017
Corning, NY
I recently purchased an Intex sand filter for my AGP to replace the stock paper cartridge filter (I hoping this greatly improves the quality of my water). My question for the forum is, how do I utilize the sand filter to vacuum my pool? I don't have a skimmer attached to my pool, but I did update the pool liner a couple years ago to use the larger Intex ports.

Thanks

No, there's an adapter that screws over the inlet on the inside of the pool and you attach the vacuum to that. You don't have to take anything loose.

Hiya Panther - welcome to TFP!

Just FYI, the vast amount of water quality complaints we see are due to issues with the chemical balance. That's not to say that filtering problems don't exist, but unless you're already using a quality FAS-DPD test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K2006), that's something that should definitely be discussed.

Our pool came with this adapter... if a hose doesn't fit we used a hose adapter. Which is at every pool store and not specific for any pool. If you have one of the newer pools that have double inlet like we do (two holes to go to the filter) you'll get better suction by doing a few tweaks. Intex pools come with these black plugs to close up the inlets for whatever reason. Put one of those over one of the inlets and then use the other hole for vacuuming. In order to fill the vacuum hose with water so the pump won't get too much air put in front of the jet until you see the bubbles stop at the other end of the hose then connect it to the inlet to vacuum!!

Good luck! !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Jeff. One question...the description wasn't real clear on the size of the adapter. Does this adapter fit the larger Intex intake inlet?
It fit the intake on my Intex before I switched to a Hayward through the wall skimmer, but that was the old Intex pool with a single intake. If you have the new style with dual intakes, I have no idea if it will fit or not. Sorry...

Turn the pump off, screw on the adapter, then connect the vacuum hose, turn the pump back on and get to work.

I wouldn't modify the screen, but if you vacuum up leaves or other large debris, you may need to remove the adapter and clear the screen periodically.

Turn the pump off, screw on the adapter, then connect the vacuum hose, turn the pump back on and get to work.

I wouldn't modify the screen, but if you vacuum up leaves or other large debris, you may need to remove the adapter and clear the screen periodically.
That was the problem I had when using the intex fitting to vacuum, the screen on the fitting would clog up quickly, and when removing the adapter some of the debris would end up back in the pool. Have a skimmer net handy when you unscrew that adapter.

You can set it to "Waste" and avoid pumping the debris back into your filter if it's really nasty, but you'll need to add water back to the pool if you do it for very long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.