Just pulled the trigger on a Pool Rover Jr.

MrBfromNC

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 23, 2018
Fuquay-Varina, NC
So, the battle of the tulip tree rages on. As you may recall, I've got a very pretty tulip tree just above my equipment pad and stretching out over our new and improved deck. (see the tree in question in my first picture on comment #37 ---> Nervous and excited about my first AGP install)

So, last summer and this spring, it's been dumping lots and lots of leaves and very nice looking flower petals into my otherwise nice and clear blue pool water. After spending about an hour ALMOST every single day for the past 27 days vacuuming and running around with my little skimmer net.... I began to threaten to cut it down a few times. But every time I've mentioned it, Mrs. B. has given me this dirty look like she'd rather me disassemble the pool and move it 50 feet rather than cut that gorgeous tree down. So she leaves me no choice but to purchase a cleaner.

I've been shopping for an automatic cleaner since last fall and seeing the price fall below $270, I finally decided to go with the Pool Rover Jr. After seeing several people rave about how well it works, I think I'll be happy to try it out. I hope I don't have any big problems with the cord tangling and curling up. Should arrive at my place on Thursday so I'll try to update y'all after I run it through it's paces this weekend. :cool:

Reactions: BuckeyeMac
For the "curly hair" problem with Lil' Kim I do change the peg for the adjustable wheels. I go side to side as well as front and back hole. This keeps the cord from getting curled the same way each time. I also make sure to untangle it by laying it out straight each time I use it. You are going to LOVE this cleaner!!

One thing I did do was order another filter bag for it. Now I just take the dirty one off and throw it in the washer with my next load of clothes. Here is the one I ordered: Amazon.com : Blue Wave Aquafirst & Aquabot Pool Cleaner Replacement Filter Bag : Swimming Pool Robotic Cleaners : Gateway

Kim:kim:

Congratulations! Sounds like a work saver to me! Looking forward to hearing your review :)

Thanks. It should arrive this afternoon so I told Mrs. B that I'm pumped to begin using it. (get it?? pumped..... it's a pool cleaner joke)

For the "curly hair" problem with Lil' Kim I do change the peg for the adjustable wheels. I go side to side as well as front and back hole. This keeps the cord from getting curled the same way each time. I also make sure to untangle it by laying it out straight each time I use it. You are going to LOVE this cleaner!!

One thing I did do was order another filter bag for it. Now I just take the dirty one off and throw it in the washer with my next load of clothes. Here is the one I ordered: Amazon.com : Blue Wave Aquafirst & Aquabot Pool Cleaner Replacement Filter Bag : Swimming Pool Robotic Cleaners : Gateway

Kim:kim:

I've been watching some of the helpful tips on YouTube and one person said to lay the cord out straight on the pool deck so the sun can warm it up and "erase" some of that curly memory in the cord. And yes, I'll order an extra bag as well. One thing I saw that I wasn't sure about. The user guide says to keep the cleaner in the pool for 20 minutes AFTER it finishes its cleaning cycle; apparently so the motor can cool down. Is this really necessary?

Thanks Kim.

I don't know if it is necessary but I do leave it in for a while after it has run just to be on the safe side. Better safe than sorry on this one to me!

The cord-I have not had any problem with it trying to stay curled even without having it in the sun. I DO make sure to uncurl it each and every time and when it is stored it is VERY loosely laid out is a large deck box.

We were left with a Pool Rover Jr from the previous owners, and I've now used it every day for the past week. It has been fantastic. The cord the first time I used it was a tangled mess (they clearly didn't change the pin location). I actually just removed the pin and let the thing go wherever. Not sure if that hurts anything. The cord hasn't been tangled since, and we've only been in the mid 70's with sun a handful of times so far. It is quite impressive how well it does!

And thanks Kats for posting the link to the additional bag. I will be getting one :)

We were left with a Pool Rover Jr from the previous owners, and I've now used it every day for the past week. It has been fantastic. The cord the first time I used it was a tangled mess (they clearly didn't change the pin location). I actually just removed the pin and let the thing go wherever. Not sure if that hurts anything. The cord hasn't been tangled since, and we've only been in the mid 70's with sun a handful of times so far. It is quite impressive how well it does!

And thanks Kats for posting the link to the additional bag. I will be getting one :)

Thanks Mac. I just found it a little hard to believe that anyone could purchase a robot cleaner for less than $300 since most of the others I was researching were between $400 and $600. But after @kimkats and @zea3 raved about theirs, I figured it was worth purchasing. Like I said, I'll definitely run it through it's paces over the next 3 days and report back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As promised, here are my first reactions and unbiased opinions on my new Pool Rover Junior from Aquabot.

First, it was quite easy to get started. Pulled it out the box, plugged the Rover into the power supply, lowered it into my pool to remove all the air, then plugged the power supply into the wall outlet and hit the start button. BAM. It began to roll across the floor of the pool and when it hit the side, it paused for about 4 or 5 seconds and began to reverse along a different path. It kept working its way around my circular pool in a method that reminded me of cutting up a pizza. It would run into the side, back up to the middle and then move forward again along another path to hit the side again. I did not time it from start to finish but I'm sure it ran at least an hour or more with the "small pool" setting selected.

When it was done, I waited about 20-30 minutes to pull it out so it would be completely cooled down. Removed the lower panel, removed the filter bag and dumped it out. Easy peasy. The cord began to wind up a little bit but I am taking Kim's advise and will lay it flat on my deck after each cleaning to completely unwind and "relax" as much as possible. I also changed out the wheel pin between cleanings.

Lastly, I wanted to get a deck box to keep it in while not in use but after looking at how much those buggers cost on Amazon, I decided to build my own. I think I'm slowly making this pool and deck a true backyard paradise that Mrs. B can enjoy to the fullest with minimum effort on my part.

Reactions: BuckeyeMac
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.