Just ordered some solar panels

jasong

Mar 10, 2017
House Springs
First year with a new pool and we have had it open since construction completion a few months ago. Water was in the low 50's out of the tap and after some storms last week it was around 62. I have had a cover on it for about three weeks now and we are hovering nicely around 75 {temp was 64 on Monday.

75 is nice for this early in the season but I broke down today and ordered 240sf of panels for the roof. I am on an ESE facing roof but there isn't a tree in the way of the pool or roof so I am hoping for some exciting things.

Ordered:
5 4x12 panels
Install kits as required
Solar roof sensor for my ET4
Hayward 3 way solar valve
Roof strapping and other fun stuff :)

I am sitting right now drawing out my pipe plans and off to the Depot tomorrow to pick up 200' of PVC. Need to spend some time modifying my ET4 programs since I had already stolen the solar output to have a 5th relay....This may become an addiction.

Vortech are a pretty good option and more cost effective than the other companies. Lots of good install guidance from them as well. Only downside Is they are difficult to repair if leaking. I got ~ 11 years from mine before replacing The last year, several leaks in places difficult to repair. Finally gave up and bought some used fafco panels since budget was tight. They are easier to repair but pricing is way higher than vortech panels. I wish they (solardirect) would begin making traditional tubular design panels as they would put the other mfgs out of business or make them price their panels more economically.

BTY solar makes such a difference in a pool! We normally keep pool at 85 here in northern California and even though weather has been pretty mild these last few weeks, pool is nice and warm!

View attachment 61187

Started running PVC early today before work. I had to move the cable TV box off to the left a bit so I can turn up the wall. I had to take off my electrical hat and put on the plumbing hat in order to get my slope. When I set my string the first time, I went level and then drilled all my holes. Had to drop the right side 5" and then re-drill..More to come

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.