Just ordered Easy Set 8' x 30" - how uneven can I get away with?

May 30, 2018
Oakland
Hi,

I just bought my first house, and I have a smallish yard (for where I live it's actually pretty sizable, but to most of the U.S. it would be considered pretty small). Anyway, I've always dreamed of having a pond or maybe a small pool. A couple days ago it finally warmed up here after a really cold spring, and I started thinking it would be nice to get a small wading pool for my two large dogs. So I got one at Target and it was so tiny only one could fit. :( Then I started having crazy notions about a deeper wading pool that they might be able to paddle in. I went online and found the Intex Easy Set 8' x 30" and read the reviews- despite it being an inflatable, several reviewers said it held up to their big dogs. Even better- it was big enough for an adult to float in! I got super psyched because it was only $50 with the pump, and free shipping. I figured for that price it was worth trying to make it work. So I ordered it and then I went and tried to figure out where I'd put it. hahaha. Nothing like going in reverse.
Now I'm faced with a dilemma- I don't want to use up any of the small amount of grassy surface in my yard for the pool. So my options are:

1) The weird concrete pad layout in center of my yard. I measured it and it is only 6' 6" x 6' 6" AND it's on a slope. So I'd have to figure out how to deal with the additional 1.5' that will spill over into the grass on each side of the pad, AND put something under lower side to level it at least a bit. I don't know if I'm liking that because if it collapses, the water will run right down the concrete to my home's foundation. That seems like very bad thing.

2) The remnants of an old garage foundation pad that the sellers covered in wood chips. Underneath is deteriorating concrete. I'm considering removing all the wood chips (something I've been wanting to do anyway), and seeing how it looks underneath. I've actually been considering having the whole thing removed to plant grass, or repoured. But realistically, this is not a great idea because it's where i park my RV, which is currently in the shop. I have a very long driveway, so I could park my RV further down, and my car behind it, but the RV is almost as tall as my small house, and If I park it further down, it will block my South facing kitchen window and make it difficult to walk down the driveway.

3) Put it in my driveway! This is probably the absolute worst idea of all, as it would put me in view of the street (and it's not a great area), AND it would have to be behind my RV but in front of my car, so my car might be swept away in the floodwaters of the pool if it collapses. Ok, it probably won't float away, but that won't be a good situation. The midsection of my driveway is actually the best location, level wise, as it's pretty much level, nice, smooth concrete base,etc. And if I had some good foliage barrier between the driveway and my neighbor's place and the street, I'd probably just put it there. It's also close to the water source and close enough to kitchen window I can just put the electrical through the window.

So tell me now if this is all just a disaster waiting to happen, as I can just hit "return" on Amazon when it arrives, and send it back. But I figured for $50 it was worth taking a stab at it. Even it lasts only a few weeks, (insert curse word here) even a few days, and doesn't result in damage to any property, I'll be happy.

Thanks!

Dogpool

Welcome!

Ground prep is the most important part of the install the pool should be within 1” all the way around.

As you may have read in the other thread you posted in, the Easy Set pools will ‘roll’ downhill until they get so dis formed that they begin to spill over.
Getting the ground level is even more so important with an Easy Set.

Our first pool was a 15 x 48 Easy Set that we setup on our concrete patio. The patio has a slight pitch for drainage, and resulted in about a 1-1/2" difference in water level across the pool.

By the middle of the summer, the pool had begun to 'roll' towards the low end, pulling the pool into an oval. Eventually I had to drain the pool because the pool continued to roll towards the low end, pulling the wall down lower until water would spill over. I was worried that the pool would fail from all that stress and someone would get hurt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.