Just opened the pool for the first time and need help

When I wasn't able to see the bottom to get the leaves and other junk out I got a Jandy leaf that hooks up to your water hose and vacuum pole. I used it blindly at first for a few days but it sure got lots of junk out. And because I have a ton of trees (ugh) it has been a life saver image.jpg

Yeah, I bought one of those and used it as best I could. I am able to make out the junk on the bottom of the pool now so yesterday I vacuumed out as much debris as I could. This morning though, I saw some of the debris back in the shallow end and deep end despite it being clean yesterday. I can only assume that this is some manner of residual silt/dirt from the junk that was on top of the pool cover. I guess I'm gonna have to vacuum this stuff to waste as best I can.

Kevin T

Still SLAM-ing away. My CYA is ~40 and I'm trying to keep my FC at 20 for good measure. My CC is usually between 1 and 1.5. I found a rather large dead mouse swirling away in my skimmer the other day as well as two frogs within the last week. That can't be good for the water. The shallow end is pretty clear. I'm just waiting on the deep end to clear up. Seems like every day I can see a little deeper. I can now make out the brush head when it's on the bottom of the deep end. It's not clearly defined, but I can tell where it is.

Kevin T

I received my Blue Devil triangular shaped vacuum head today. I'm not sure if it's an actual Blue Devil or a Chinese knock-off, but either way I vacuumed my pool to waste to get the fine debris out and it seemed to work. We'll see what settles back in the pool once a couple hours transpire. Either way, here are some pics of my progress as of today. I started the SLAM on 4-12-14. I think I'm getting close to being done, but I'll keep SLAM-ing away for at least another week.

Shallow end:
5314A.JPG

Deep end:
5314B.JPG

How much FC are you losing between tests? How high are the CC?

:testresults:

FC loss seems to be dependent on the weather. The sunnier it is, the more I lose. For instance, yesterday at 6:00 a.m. I was at 23.5 PPM and 1 CC. I tested again after I got home around 5:00 p.m. and I was at 16.5 PPM and .5 CC. It was bright and sunny all day. On 4-28-14 from 12:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m., I only lost 3 PPM FC (25.5 - 22.5). I added a jug of bleach to the pool today after I cleaned it around 5:00 p.m. I'll test the water at 6:00 to see where I'm at.

Kevin T

EDIT:

6:00 p.m. test results = 21 PPM FC and .5 CC

Still looks a bit dull. You are close though. You will notice the crispness of the TFP way when you see it.

Are you brushing your pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still looks a bit dull. You are close though.

Yeah, I've still got a little way to go. To be honest though, the liner in my pool is kind of bland. It was replaced to sell the house (which was a bank repo) so I'm certain they put in the cheapest liner they could find. I can see the seams in the deep end. I'm hoping now that I was able to vac a fair amout of silt to waste, it'll clear up even faster.

Are you brushing your pool?

Not as much as I should be. Maybe once every couple of days.

Kevin T

Once every couple days is better than not brushing at all. You will get that cheap liner to sparkle even if you can see the seams in the deep end. :goodjob:

I'm running low on R-0871 so I haven't been able to test this week. I ordered two more ounces (and a Sample Sizer), but USPS is taking their sweet time with delivering the package it seems. The water is still pretty clear but I still need to vacuum more silt out. I got a lot of it out with my last vacuum, but I guess I stirred enough of it up that it has settled back down again. Here is my current view in the deep end:

50814A.jpg

50814B.jpg

I finally received the weir door I ordered for my skimmer which has been missing since we moved in. I'm surprised at how much more efficient the skimmer is operating now that the weir is attached. It's really pulling the water in now. Previously, I knew it was drawing in the water, but I couldn't really tell. It's night and day now with the weir in place.

Kevin T

So I've passed the OCLT test, the water is clearer than I think I've ever seen it, and CC is .5 PPM. FC this morning was 7 PPM. Now I just need to balance my water. I'll need to test CYA this afternoon when I get home, but my testing of pH and TA from last night yielded a pH of 7.2 and a TA of 50. I'm obviously going to have to start raising them. Do I start with TA since adding baking soda will result in a slight rise in pH? My plan is to get TA to 90 and then get pH to 7.8. Sorry, no pics. Maybe this evening. ;)

Kevin T

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.