Long Island ny
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
So this is my second year with pool and just opened it. Took water sample to local pool store and they kind of freaked me out with some of the results. Posting pic to show what they said I needed. My biggest concerns are numbers 3 and 5. I have tfp app and tested and used app all last year and pool was great. Did I waste my money on a bunch of useless things or is guy at pool store right. Want to know before I dump a bunch of chemicals in my pool.

Attachments

• 1006EFC0-42E1-48AF-98EA-724BE25AE174.jpeg
    1006EFC0-42E1-48AF-98EA-724BE25AE174.jpeg
    440.7 KB · Views: 23
Hey JB..... welcome BACK !!!

We don't trust the store that sells you the fixes to test your water with your best interests at heart. For example, (3 and 5) your CH (calcium) hardly matters in a vinyl pool, and phosphates are total bullfeathers.

They are probably close to correct about the salt. Their salt test isn't nearly as good as the Taylor 1766, but its usually close-ish.

Your calcium you DO want to be 150 ish, but test it yourself to see how much you actually need to add. :)

And I added salt based on my swg recommendation I was just worried about adding 65lbs of chemicals that I might not need and the phosphate thing seemed a little off to me as well as I have never needed or added that last year

Reactions: Newdude
You did good. Sorry I was busy yesterday.

always test the salt content before you add. And then add 80%ish and retest. You want to creep up on the target and it’s real easy to overshoot and have to drain.

Ok so I tested my levels this morning and here are the results. Should I be adding the chemicals the pool store said to address issues 3 and 5? And I know fc is high because I added shock two days ago.

Attachments

• F212F57C-965E-4EB9-9EAD-6B535FBD6882.png
    F212F57C-965E-4EB9-9EAD-6B535FBD6882.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 9
Also these are the chemicals they told me to buy and add all of it to pool, should I add or return for $$ back?

Attachments

• 712CB87A-F92C-4B53-9811-F83CF53974FE.jpeg
    712CB87A-F92C-4B53-9811-F83CF53974FE.jpeg
    410.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 57B44B1C-B5D6-41BA-813D-B098976D76D9.jpeg
    57B44B1C-B5D6-41BA-813D-B098976D76D9.jpeg
    580.1 KB · Views: 4
For 3). Add enough calcium per pool math to get to 150. Make sure your settings are configured for your pool. It appears it’s set to liquid chlorine and not SWG based on the CYA recommendations

for 5). Ignore and go have a tasty beverage or do *anything* else besides caring about irrelevant phosphates. Algae food is of no matter if your FC is within range. I keep likening it to Petco. They have aisles and aisles of dog food but have yet to once create a dog because of it. Keep the doors locked (proper FC) and no dogs will get in to eat the food.

Unless you want to possibly find a smaller/cheaper calcium, you can keep the bucket. It stores fine forever and you’ll probably need another 10-20 lbs next spring.

Take the phosphate nonesense back, as described above. :)

Also also ..... :ROFLMAO:

I really like the FC slightly above range for a newb, and keep it there myself as a non newb. It will give you a little extra safety net where some can burn off or get used up before you catch it. When it does you will still be in range and not low.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also also ..... :ROFLMAO:

I really like the FC slightly above range for a newb, and keep it there myself as a non newb. It will give you a little extra safety net where some can burn off or get used up before you catch it. When it does you will still be in range and not low.
Ok great thank you so much I will work on adding the calcium. Is it safe for my kids to swim as I add the calcium lvls up? And I did just realize you were right I didn’t have pool math configured for swg thanks for noticing that now I have to add stabilizer to get cya up

Is it safe for my kids to swim as I add the calcium lvls up?
Overall, yes. But It’s a good habit just to give every add 20 or so minutes to dilute/disperse. The granual CYa will take a long time so not enough is coming out of it to matter in the short term.

I would let my CYA sit in a skimmer sock for a day and then swim the sock around squeezing it into a giant cloud. The cloud was entirely safe for my body, but I would have never swam through it underwater with my eyes open, Just because.

Overall, yes. But It’s a good habit just to give every add 20 or so minutes to dilute/disperse. The granual CYa will take a long time so not enough is coming out of it to matter in the short term.

I would let my CYA sit in a skimmer sock for a day and then swim the sock around squeezing it into a giant cloud. The cloud was entirely safe for my body, but I would have never swam through it underwater with my eyes open, Just because.
I agree I did cya granules last year. I was wondering about the hardness plus easing the calcium levels if it is ok to swim with that being added

Add it per the directions, Brush the floors quick which will add a few minutes of wait time AND get whatever didn’t dissolve. Then swim away. :)

Ok sweet thank you so much for your help. I love this site and recommend it to all my friends with pools, getting pools or even thinking about getting a pool. You all are the best

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.