Just opened pool. Chemistry doesn't seem bad but pool is cloudy.

MUPPPP

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2019
Missouri
Hi all,

New pool w/ SWG (details in signature). Last year was first year, and maintaining water clarity was so easy and uneventful, thanks to TFP! Our pool builder opened the pool, and when the took the tarp off water was cloudy and green. Anyway, they did whatever they do, and I don't know what they added. It was a bit cloudy yesterday since they opened Thursday and Friday, and PB told me to backwash my DE filter (72 sq ft) last night and add DE. I backwashed, put in 6 lbs of DE (I read you add a little less if it is just a backwash vs an entire cleaning). Water was clear this AM but now it's cloudy, just a few hours later. I know I need to adjust some things in my chemistry below, but I don't see anything there that would cause it to be cloudy. My SWG is on Superchlorinate mode, but I dunno if it's doing anything with the salt at only 2400.

Here's my stats:
TC 25
CC 0.5
FC 24.5
pH 7.2 (This will go up once SWG gets going, can adjust up if needed).
Calcium Hardness 400
CYA 40 (I know I will add more bc of SWG)
Salt 2400 (Adding more. They started with liquid chlorine or calcium hypochlorite I assume to get the TC up that high)
Borates 25 (Adding more)
Total alkalinity Uncertain?? I've never seen my results show up like this, but when I put the third reagent in, instead of changing from green to red, it turned first to blue then yellow. The endpoint getting it to yellow was 8 drops, so maybe my total alkalinity is 80?

Any thoughts? My reagents for my test kit (the TFP kit) are from last year, but have been stored in a cool dark place--are you supposed to replace yearly? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
It would be wise to use the current reagent refill sale at TFTestkits.net to get a fresh set.

Reactions: MUPPPP
Yep, just watched back the footage of our camera and they used all cal hypo. Will the cloudiness eventually improve on its own? If not, anything I can do to fix? It's strange to me that it was ok in the AM (I could see the drains in the deep end no problem), then in the afternoon, I couldn't anymore.

Thanks for the color tip on the total alkalinity test.

I did get an email that it was all 20% off. I will do it!

Thanks for the response!

It will clear. A combination of parameters, including water temperature, allowed for the clouding.

Discovered I had ZERO pressure in my DE filter. Some searching of this site led me to think my filter was completely clogged with algae, even though the baskwash I did the other day was not really dirty. The cartridge was a disgusting mess. Either my PB didn't clean it at all, or there was so much algae and gunk that it had to be cleaned twice. I'm thinking the former. Should be good to go now. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.