Just opened pool and Zero CC

I just tried this, I used 10ml tap water and one scoop FAS-DPD(R-0870). I used a dropper to drop chlorine straight out of the jug into the mixed water and powder.
You could see it turn pink around the drop of bleach, on the 2nd and 3rd drop it stayed clear with no pink.
Not enough powder R-0870 to test that much chlorine.

I just tried this, I used 10ml tap water and one scoop. I used a dropper to drop chlorine straight out of the jug into the mixed water and powder.
You could see it turn pink around the drop, on the 2nd and 3rd drop it stayed clear with no pink.
This may be misleading or confusing as undiluted chlorine can have unintentional effects on the reagents. I would stick with the standard testing process of 10 ML sample and one generous scoop of powder.

We'll see what update the OP has after performing the 10-min drill.

If there is too much chlorine is the pool will the test kit work with only one scoop?
If you had 40.0 FC would you have to add more FAS-DPD(R-0870) ?
No, no need to add more powder to compensate for various levels of FC.

OK what about mixing ? Has the pump run for a full day ? Or did it circulate the water a bit and hasn't run much yet ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This may be misleading or confusing as undiluted chlorine can have unintentional effects on the reagents. I would stick with the standard testing process of 10 ML sample and one generous scoop of powder.

We'll see what update the OP has after performing the 10-min drill.
Completed the 10 minute drill with no changes using the R0870. I did a second test with the K-1000 test kit and that one is showing that there is chlorine present. I must have a bad batch of R0870. To be sure, I added a drop of bleach to the 10ml and then added the R0870 and other than a micro flash of pink at the very beginning it stayed clear. I'll be looking to get a new batch of R0870.

Completed the 10 minute drill with no changes using the R0870. I did a second test with the K-1000 test kit and that one is showing that there is chlorine present. I must have a bad batch of R0870. To be sure, I added a drop of bleach to the 10ml and then added the R0870 and other than a micro flash of pink at the very beginning it stayed clear. I'll be looking to get a new batch of R0870.
Sounds like an excellent plan to me!!

I'll be looking to get a new batch of R0870.
At this point that sounds like a good call. If you have any other thoughts or questions about the process, let us know. A few of us are on the edge of our seats curious about your situation.

• Haha
Reactions: clambert1273
Going down a rabbit hole introducing straight bleach into a testing procedure.

In the presence of VERY HIGH chlorine (straight bleach) FAS/DPD will flash pink and then return to clear immediately.

OP, please perform the OTO chlorine test (R-104) and report the color you see.

How old is the kit?

Is the powder still light grey and powder-y, or clumped and/or much darker ?

I added a drop of bleach to the 10ml and then added the R0870 and other than a micro flash of pink at the very beginning it stayed clear.

A drop of bleach in just 10ml of water likely resulted in a FC level WAY too high for the FAS-DPD test to measure. The extremely high FC in the sample would like “bleach out” the color, which makes sense given you saw just a flash of pink then clear.

If I remember correctly, The FAS-DPD test is good up to about 50ppm FC.

Edit; Duraleigh beat me to it. 😄

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.