Just Opened pool and first time user (what test to perform and in what order)

Perfecto!!!! No Algae! You are good to go!

CC=0 is GREAT!

Keep your FC in range using this...Link-->FC/CYA Levels Stay away from minimum FC. Minimum is Lava.

Your CH is fine. Do NOT add more on purpose as CH is not necessary in vinyl pool. Your TA is super. Your CYA is at the top of recommended, do not add more, until it comes down (CYA degrades about 5-10 a month). Always follow this...--Link-->What Are My Ideal Pool Levels?

Here is a basic pool care schedule...

Thanks so much! I feel better and more confident. One more quick question and I will leave you alone. For the daily chlorine test, do I do the FAS/DPD test or just the quick test with plastic block and compare the yellowness?

Thanks so much! I feel better and more confident. One more quick question and I will leave you alone. For the daily chlorine test, do I do the FAS/DPD test or just the quick test with plastic block and compare the yellowness?
Your CYA is 60, so min is 5 and target is 7-9. You *might* get away with the OTO as long as it is more yellow that the top of the range, but you really won't know where you are at. HOWEVER, I would recommend doing the FAS/DPD, doesn't take that long and then you know exactly where you are at. I never use the OTO...in fact, I couldn't tell you how to use it. LOL.

For the daily chlorine test, do I do the FAS/DPD test or just the quick test with plastic block and compare the yellowness?
The comparator block test is not very accurate and is really just looking for the presence of chlorine, not specifically how much. You may use it as a spot test and if its GOOD and yellow, like, Big Bird or Taxi yellow, then you likely have enough FC to stay above minimum until tomorrow.

Otherwise, use the powder test for FC.

Your CYA is 60, so min is 5 and target is 7-9. You *might* get away with the OTO as long as it is more yellow that the top of the range, but you really won't know where you are at. HOWEVER, I would recommend doing the FAS/DPD, doesn't take that long and then you know exactly where you are at. I never use the OTO...in fact, I couldn't tell you how to use it. LOL.
Thanks. Really appreciate the help!

The comparator block test is not very accurate and is really just looking for the presence of chlorine, not specifically how much. You may use it as a spot test and if its GOOD and yellow, like, Big Bird or Taxi yellow, then you likely have enough FC to stay above minimum until tomorrow.

Otherwise, use the powder test for FC.
Thanks, think I will just continue the FAS/DPD.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.